Women’s tennis beats Babson for fourth win in five matches
BABSON PARK, Mass. — Bates College senior captain Erica Blauth (Camden, Maine) pulled out a three-set victory at number four singles to clinch a 5-4 victory over host Babson College in a non-conference women’s tennis matchup at the Farwell Courts on Wednesday afternoon.
With their fourth win in the past five matches, the Bobcats improved to 5-3 on the year, while Babson dipped to 11-4 with its first loss of the spring semester.
The Beavers led by at least three points in each of the doubles matches, but Bates rallied to win two of the three to grab an early 2-1 advantage. First-year Elena Mandzhukova (Lisbon, Portugal) and senior captain Meg Anderson (Cohasset, Maine) earned an 8-6 win at number one, and junior Jacquelyn Holmes (Harvard, Mass.) and sophomore Lucy Brennan (Wellesley, Mass.) added a 9-8 (5) tie-break victory at three. The Bobcats erased a 7-4 deficit at number two, but the Babson tandem of Ashley Lake and Rebecca Stone held off their opponents in another tie-breaker, 9-8 (5).
Bates quickly drew within a single point of victory in singles play, as Mandzhukova prevailed at number one, 6-1, 6-4, and Brennan coasted at six, 6-1, 6-0. Babson then battled back behind Stone, who won at number three, and Sarah Whitaker, who won her match at two, 6-4, 7-5. Minte Tamoshunas then tied up her match with Blauth at number four, but the Bates senior won the third to finish off the 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 victory and clinch the overall match.
Bates plays host to MIT on Saturday at 11am (Video)
Bates 5, Babson 4
Mar 14, 2012 at Babson Park, Mass. (Farwell Courts)
1. Elena Mandzhukova (BAT) def. Alex Freeman (BAB) 6-1, 6-4
2. Sarah Whitaker (BAB) def. Meg Anderson (BAT) 6-4, 7-5
3. Rebecca Stone (BAB) def. Jacquelyn Holmes (BAT) 6-3, 6-1
4. Erika Blauth (BAT) def. Minte Tamoshunas (BAB) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
5. Monica Mercer (BAB) def. Audrey Grauer (BAT) 7-6 (7-4), 4-6, 6-4
6. Lucy Brennan (BAT) def. Alexis Ferraro (BAB) 6-1, 6-0
1. Elena Mandzhukova/Meg Anderson (BAT) def. Alex Freeman/Sarah Whitaker (BAB) 8-6
2. Ashley Lake/Rebecca Stone (BAB) def. Nicole Russell/Ashley Brunk (BAT) 9-8 (7-5)
3. Jacquelyn Holmes/Lucy Brennan (BAT) def. Alexis Ferraro/Minte Tamoshunas (BAB) 9-8 (7-5)