Men’s tennis wins 9-0 at Washington (Md.) College
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — The No. 29 nationally ranked Bates College men’s tennis team opened a three-match southern swing with a 9-0 victory at Washington College on Friday.
It was the second straight win for the Bobcats (2-4), who move on to play at the University of Mary Washington tomorrow at 2pm in Fredericksburg, Va., followed by a match at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Md., on Sunday at 10am.
The Bobcats won at least twice as many games as their opponents in all three doubles matches of the day, led by the No. 1 team of juniors Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.), the third-ranked duo in the Northeast, who won 8-3 over Washington’s Kevin Papen and Aaron Ellison.
Crampton was first to score a singles point for the Bobcats, winning 6-0, 6-1 over Dan Boate at No. 3. Junior Kyle DeSisto (Cohasset, Mass.) clinched the win at No. 6 singles, winning 6-1, 6-0 over Kyle Lisco.
The host Shoremen (3-3) had their most success at first and fourth singles, gaining a set in both matches before losing in three sets to Bates sophomore Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) at No. 1 and senior captain Jeff Beaton (Haverhill, Mass.) at No. 4.
Bates 9, Washington College 0
March 23, 2012 at Chestertown, Md.
1. Matt Bettles/Rob Crampton (BAT) def. Kevin Papen/Aaron Ellison (WC) 8-3
2. Pierre Planche/Timmy Berg (BAT) def. Vishnu Rajes/Marc Cywinski (WC) 8-4
3. Peter Yanofsky/Kyle DeSisto (BAT) def. Dan Boate/Andrew Laux (WC) 8-4
1. Timmy Berg (BAT) def. Kevin Papen (WC) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Matt Bettles (BAT) def. Vishnu Rajes (WC) 6-1, 6-3
3. Rob Crampton (BAT) def. Dan Boate (WC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Jeff Beaton (BAT) def. Marc Cywinski (WC) 4-6, 6-2, 10-8
5. Pierre Planche (BAT) def. Aaron Ellison (WC) 6-1, 6-4
6. Kyle DeSisto (BAT) def. Kyle Lisco (WC) 6-1, 6-0