No. 30 women’s tennis cooled off by No. 19 Brandeis, 6-3
LEWISTON, Maine — No. 19 nationally ranked Brandeis University cooled off the 30th-ranked Bates College women’s tennis team with a 6-3 non-conference win on Saturday in Merrill Indoor Gymnasium.
Bates (6-4), which has risen into the national rankings following wins over Babson and MIT, got a doubles point at the No. 2 matchup, with juniors Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) and Nicole Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) edging Alexa Katz and Nina Levine 8-6. At No. 4 singles, senior captain Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) outlasted Katz in a third-set tiebreaker, 6-2, 1-6, 7-6(7). Sophomore Lucy Brennan (Wellesley, Mass.) won decisively over Roberta Bergstein at fifth singles.
Brandeis (9-1) took a 2-1 lead after doubles play. Carley Cooke and Faith Broderick teamed up to defeat senior captain Meg Anderson (Cohasset, Mass.) and first-year Elena Mandzhukova (Lisbon, Portugal) 8-4, and Dylan Schlesinger and Simone Vandroff edged Blauth and sophomore Kristen Doerer (Madison, Conn.) 9-8 (7-2).
Cooke came back from a set down to defeat Bates’ Mandzhukova at No. 1 singles. The Judges also got wins at second singles from Broderick, at third singles from Allyson Bernstein and at sixth singles from Vandroff.
Bates plays a NESCAC match at Wesleyan tomorrow (Sunday) at 12pm.
Brandeis 6, Bates 3
March 31, 2012 at Merrill Indoor Gym
1. Carley Cooke/Faith Broderick (Brandeis) def. Meg Anderson/Elena Mandzhukova (Bates) 8-4
2. Ashley Brunk/Nicole Russell (Bates) def. Alexa Katz/Nina Levine (Brandeis) 8-6
3. Dylan Schlesinger/Simone Vandroff (Brandeis) def. Erika Blauth/Kristen Doerer (Bates) 9-8 (7-2)
1. Cooke (Brandeis) def. Mandzhukova (Bates) 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
2. Broderick (Brandeis) def. Anderson (Bates) 6-4, 6-1
3. Allyson Bernstein (Brandeis) def. Jacqui Holmes (Bates) 6-1, 6-1
4. Blauth (Bates) def. Katz (Brandeis) 6-2, 1-6, 7-6(7)
5. Lucy Brennan (Bates) def. Roberta Bergstein (Brandeis) 6-3, 6-2
6. Vandroff (Brandeis) def. Brunk (Bates) 4-6, 6-4, (11-9)