No. 30 women’s tennis wins NESCAC match at Wesleyan, 7-2
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. — The Bates women’s tennis team got its first NESCAC victory on Sunday, winning 7-2 at Wesleyan University in a match played indoors, just a day after the Bobcats faced Brandeis at home.
The No. 30 nationally ranked Bobcats (7-4, 1-1) picked up their third win in the past four matches, and their sixth in the past eight.
Each doubles match was closely contested, but the Bobcats picked up two points to put the host Cardinals (2-3) in a hole going into singles play. First-year Elena Mandzhukova (Lisbon, Portugal) and senior captain Meg Anderson (Cohasset, Mass.) won 8-6 at No. 1 doubles, while juniors Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) and Nicole Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) won by the same score at No. 2.
Anderson and Brunk won at second and sixth singles, respectively, for 2-0 days. Junior captain Jacqui Holmes (Harvard, Mass.), senior captain Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) and sophomore Lucy Brennan (Wellesley, Mass.) won at third, fourth and fifth singles, respectively.
Bates next plays at Wellesley on Friday at 2pm.
Bates 7, Wesleyan 2
April 1, 2012 at Wesleyan (indoor)
1. Elena Mandzhukova/Meg Anderson (B) def. Grace Smith/Sarah Miller (W) 8-6
2. Ashley Brunk/Nicole Russell (B) def. Madison Hartley/Lauren Jacobs (W) 8-6
3. Genevieve Aniello/Kiley Robbins (W) def. Kristen Doerer/Erika Blauth (B) 9-8(3)
1. Smith (W) def. Mandzhukova (B) 7-6(2), 6-2
2. Anderson (B) def. Miller (W) 7-6(4), 6-4
3. Jacqui Holmes (B) def. Aniello (W) 7-5, 6-3
4. Blauth (B) def. Robbins (W) 4-6, 7-5, 7-5
5. Lucy Brennan (B) def. Hartley (W) 6-3, 6-3
6. Brunk (B) def. Jacobs (W) 6-3, 6-3