Women’s tennis tops MIT; will meet Brandeis in tourney finale
WELLESLEY, Mass. — The Bates women’s tennis team beat MIT for the second time in three weeks, prevailing 5-4 in the second round of the Nor’Easter Bowl tournament, hosted by Wellesley College, at Dana Hall School.
Bates (8-5), ranked 30th in Division III and seeded sixth in the tournament, will play at 19th-ranked and fourth-seeded Brandeis tomorrow at 9am to determine fifth and sixth place in the eight-team tournament, which features six nationally ranked teams.
First-year Elena Mandzhukova (Lisbon, Portugal) was 2-0 on the day for the Bobcats, teaming up with senior Meg Anderson (Cohasset, Mass.) to win 8-4 at No. 1 singles, then coming back from a set down to beat Anastasia Vishnevetsky at No. 1 singles. Sophomore Lucy Brennan (Wellesley, Mass.) was 2-0 as well, teaming with junior Jacqui Holmes (Harvard, Mass.) to win 8-0 at third doubles before losing only one game in a straight-set defeat of Hillary Jenny at fifth singles. Junior Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) also dominated her opponent at sixth singles for a fourth Bates point.
Brandeis defeated Bates 6-3 in Lewiston on March 31.
Bates 5, MIT 4
(at Dana Hall)
1. Elena Mandzhukova/Meg Anderson (BATES) def. Anastasia Vishnevetsky/Michelle Dutt (MIT), 8-4
2. Julia Hsu/Vynnie Kong (MIT) def. Ashley Brunk/Nicole Russell (BATES), 8-3
3. Jacqui Holmes/Lucy Brennan (BATES) def. Hillary Jenny/Madeline Aby (MIT), 8-0
1. Elena Mandzhukova (BATES), def. Anastasia Vishnevetsky (MIT), 2-6, 6-2, 7-5
2. Michelle Dutt (MIT) def. Meg Anderson (BATES), 6-3, 6-7(5), 6-4
3. Vynnie Kong (MIT) def. Jacqui Holmes (BATES), 6-3, 6-4
4. Julia Hsu (MIT) def. Erika Blauth (BATES), 6-1, 2-6, 6-2
5. Lucy Brennan (BATES) def. Hillary Jenny (MIT), 6-0, 6-1
6. Ashley Brunk (BATES) def. Madeline Aby (MIT), 6-0, 6-1