Women’s track wins five events at Fitchburg State meet
FITCHBURG, Mass. — The Bates women’s track and field team won five events en route to finishing third among eight teams Saturday at the Jim Sheehan Memorial Track Meet at Fitchburg State College.
Notable performances by the Bobcats included:
- Sophomore Kallie Nixon (Medfield, Mass.) led four Bates runners in the top six in the 1,500-meter race, with a winning time of 4:53.49. First-year Erica Gagnon (Weymouth, Mass.) was fourth in 5:02.66, followed by first-year Elena Jay (West Hartford, Conn.) in fifth (5:03.72) and sophomore Mira Carey-Hatch (Laconia, N.H.) in sixth at 5:04.95.
- Junior Lindsay Cullen (Newburyport, Mass.) captured first place in a dominating 5,000, with a time of 17:48.54 that was more than 67 seconds faster than the runner-up.
- Senior Tina Tobin (Lowell, Mass.) crossed the finish line first in the 400 hurdles, in 1:06.05.
- Sophomore Andrea Fisher (Williamstown, Mass.) won the 3,000-meter steeplechase in a time of 12:27.88, 4.81 seconds ahead of the runner-up.
- Senior Juliana Kirkland (Greene, Maine) took second place in the hammer throw at 139-1, just six inches shy of Colby-Sawyer’s Kristin Sawyer.
- Senior Taylor Piers (Falmouth, Maine) placed third in both the long jump (16-8.75) and the triple jump (34-2).
- First-year Allysa Morgosh (Carlsbad, Calif.) placed third in the shot put (34-0).
Bates won the 4×800 relay by 2.61 seconds ahead of runner-up Emmanuel, in 10:27.40. Bates also took second place in the 4×100 relay, in 50.14.
Worcester State scored the most team points with 195.5, followed by Colby with 163.5, Bates with 156, and Fitchburg State and Smith rounding out the top five with 86 and 74.
Bates competes at a tri-meet next Saturday at Colby, with MIT, starting at noon.