Women’s tennis plays several matches close at No. 12 Tufts
MEDFORD, Mass. — The No. 30 nationally ranked Bates women’s tennis team played several close individual matches in accepting a 9-0 loss at No. 12 Tufts in a NESCAC match on Monday.
Bates sophomore Lucy Brennan (Wellesley, Mass.) won the second set from Rebecca Kimmel at fifth singles, before Kimmel edged Brennan in the third set tiebreaker. At second singles, senior co-captain Meg Anderson (Cohasset, Mass.) was edged in a close two-set showdown with Tufts’ Shelci Bowman, 6-4, 7-6(6).
Anderson and first-year Elena Mandzhukova (Lisbon, Portugal) played the closest doubles match of the day at first doubles, falling 8-6 to Sophie Schonfeld and Eliza Flynn. Playing at first singles, Mandzhukova dueled with Katz, the 42nd-ranked singles player in the country, settling for a 6-4, 7-5 loss.
The Bobcats (8-7, 1-2 NESCAC) next play at Colby in another NESCAC match on Thursday at 4pm. Tufts rose to 7-5 overall, 3-0 in NESCAC play.
Tufts 9, Bates 0
April 16, 2012 at Tufts
1. Sophie Schonfeld/Eliza Flynn (T) def. Elena Mandzhukova/Meg Anderson (B) 8-6
2. Lindsay Katz/Shelci Bowman (T) def. Ashley Brunk/Nicole Russell (B) 8-3
3. Samantha Gann/Janice Lam (T) def. Jacqui Holmes/Lucy Brennan (B) 8-5
1. Katz (T) def. Mandzhukova (B) 6-4, 7-5
2. Bowman (T) def. Anderson (B) 6-4, 7-6(6)
3. Flynn (T) def. Holmes (B) 6-2, 6-3
4. Gann (T) def. Erika Blauth (B) 7-5, 6-0
5. Rebecca Kimmel (T) def. Brennan (B) 6-0, 6-7(5), (10-8)
6. Lam (T) def. Brunk (B) 6-0, 6-1