Men’s tennis dominates Conn. College, 9-0
LEWISTON, Maine — The No. 15 nationally ranked Bates men’s tennis team returned to form with a 9-0 NESCAC win over Connecticut College on Saturday at Wallach Tennis Center, winning all but one set.
Junior Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) teamed with junior Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) for an 8-1 rout at first doubles over John Cangelosi and George King. Bettles went on to ring up a 6-1, 6-1 win at second singles over Joshua Suneby.
The Camels dropped to 7-7 overall, 0-5 in NESCAC play. Cangelosi won the first set at third singles against Bates freshman Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.), but Planche won 6-4 in the second set and finished off the win with a 6-0 decision in the tiebreaking set.
Junior Dylan Reffe (Washington, D.C.) and sophomore Ben Bogard (Lido Beach, N.Y.) moved into Bates’ starting lineup and won decisively at fifth and sixth singles, respectively.
Bates (7-6, 2-3 NESCAC) plays at Trinity on Tuesday at 3pm before returning home to play Tufts on Friday at 4pm. Connecticut College plays at Colby tomorrow at 2pm.
Bates 9, Connecticut College 0
April 21, 2012 at Bates (Wallach Tennis Center)
1. Matt Bettles/Rob Crampton (B) def. John Cangelosi/George King (C) 8-1
2. Pierre Planche/Timmy Berg (B) def. Jeremy Bader/Jeff Weisberger (C) 8-2
3. Kyle DeSisto/Peter Yanofsky (B) def. JOshua Suneby/Mike DeCorato (C) 8-6
1. Berg (B) def. Weisberger (C) 6-1, 6-3
2. Bettles (B) def. Suneby (C) 6-1, 6-1
3. Planche (B) def. Cangelosi (C) 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
4. Jeff Beaton (B) def. King (C) 6-0, 6-4
5. Dylan Reffe (B) def. Huan Nguyen (C) 6-1, 6-0
6. Ben Bogard (B) def. Jeff Basch (C) 6-0, 6-1