Men’s tennis wins 6-3 at No. 24 Trinity
HARTFORD, Conn. — The No. 15 nationally ranked Bates men’s tennis team won 6-3 at No. 24 Trinity College on Tuesday, the Bobcats’ second straight NESCAC win and their fourth this season over a Top 30 opponent.
Bates (8-6, 3-3 NESCAC) won at the top two doubles positions and at the first four singles spots for the win. Juniors Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) won 8-3 at first doubles, and both players went on to decisive straight-set wins at second and third singles, respectively.
Sophomore Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) and first-year Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.) also went 2-0 on the day, teaming up to win 8-6 at second doubles and posting two-set victories at first and fourth singles, respectively.
Bates plays host to Tufts in another NESCAC match on Friday at 4pm.
Trinity dropped to 9-6 overall, 5-4 in the NESCAC.
Bates 6, Trinity 3
April 24, 2012 at Trinity
1. Matt Bettles/Rob Crampton (B) def. Anson McCook/Ned Mandel (T) 8-3
2. Timmy Berg/Pierre Planche (B) def. Charles McConnell/Kayong Lee (T) 8-6
3. Daniel Carpenter/Ilya Levin (T) def. Peter Yanofsky/Kyle DeSisto (B) 8-2
1. Berg (B) def. McCook (T) 6-3, 6-4
2. Bettles (B) def. Lee (T) 6-3, 6-1
3. Crampton (B) def. Jugal Marfatia (T) 6-1, 6-3
4. Planche (B) def. McConnell (T) 6-4, 6-4
5. Mandel (T) def. Beaton (B) 6-3, 6-4
6. Carpenter (T) def. Dylan Reffe (B) 6-0, 6-0