Women’s tennis goes 2-1 in doubles against No. 1 Williams
LEWISTON, Maine — The Bates women’s tennis team took a 2-1 lead through doubles play against the top-ranked team in Division III, Williams, on Saturday in Merrill Indoor Gymnasium, but the visiting Ephs swept the six singles matches to win 7-2.
The Ephs finish the regular season with an 18-1 record, 7-0 in NESCAC play. Williams will host the NESCAC Women’s Tennis Championships next weekend, May 4-6.
Bates, ranked 30th in the country, finishes the regular season with a 10-9 record, a 3-4 NESCAC mark and perhaps an outside chance of being one of the six teams chosen to compete at NESCACs.
Bates senior Meg Anderson (Cohasset, Mass.) and first-year Elena Mandzhukova (Lisbon, Portugal) edged Williams’ Kara Shoemaker and Taylor French at No. 1 doubles, while at No. 2 doubles, juniors Nicole Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) and Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) pounced on Nancy Worley and Caroline Capute for an 8-3 win.
Mandzhukova and Anderson played Bates’ two most competitive singles matches — Mandzhukova fell 6-4, 6-4 to Kristin Alotta, while Williams’ Worley got past Anderson 7-6(2), 6-1.
Williams 7, Bates 2
April 28, 2012 at Bates (Merrill Indoor Gym)
1. Meg Anderson/Elena Mandzhukova (B) def. Kara Shoemaker/Taylor French (W) 9-7
2. Nicole Russell/Ashley Brunk (B) def. Nancy Worley/Caroline Capute (W) 8-3
3. Rebecca Curran/Maria Pylypiv (W) def. Jacqui Holmes/Lucy Brennan (B) 8-2
1. Kristin Alotta (W) def. Mandzhukova (B) 6-4, 6-4
2. Worley (W) def. Anderson (B) 7-6(2), 6-1
3. Kathleen Elkins (W) def. Holmes (B) 6-1, 6-0
4. Curran (W) def. Erika Blauth (B) 6-0, 6-2
5. Pylypiv (W) def. Brennan (B) 6-2, 6-0
6. Veranika Li (W) def. Russell (B) 6-1, 6-0