Rookie LaVerghetta leads women’s golf at Bowdoin Blast
BRUNSWICK, Maine — First-year newcomer Liz LaVerghetta (Norton, Mass.) led the Bates women’s golf team in its season-opening competition this weekend, as the Bobcats competed at the two-day Bowdoin Blast at Brunswick Golf Club.
Bowdoin prevailed over Bates in head-to-head scoring with a two-day, four-player combined score of 723, while Bates carded an 893. Saint Anselm’s College players also participated, but not in team scoring.
LaVerghetta shot a 95 on Saturday, then went five strokes under that to move ahead of Bowdoin’s Taylor Guiffre for third place overall. Ursula Munger claimed medalist honors for the Polar Bears with a 169.
With its roster almost completely different from last year’s, save for sophomore captain Ali Desjardins (Auburn, Maine), first-year Jessica Plotnikov (Brooklyn, N.Y.) finished seventh overall and second for Bates at 208. Desjardin carded a 248, followed by junior Jordan Banez (Fredericksburg, Va.) at 252 and junior Jennalee Kulig (East Granby, Conn.) at 268.
Women’s golf next competes this Saturday, Sept. 15 at 11am against Bowdoin on the Bobcats’ home course, Martindale Country Club in Auburn.
1. Ursie Munger, BOW: 86-83-169
2. Kendall Kyritz, BOW: 88-85-172
3. Liz LaVerghetta, BAT: 95-90-185
4. Taylor Guiffre, BOW: 94-93-187
5. Jacqui Maher, BOW: 90-105-195
6. Meaghan Brennan, STA: 107-95-202
7. Jessica Plotnikov, BAT: 100-108-208
8. Andrea O’Neil, STA: 113-108-221
9. Ali Desjardin, BAT: 127-121-248
10. Jordan Banez, BAT: 134-118-252
11. JennaLee Kulig, BAT: 143-125-268