Men’s tennis wins dual match at Babson, 6-2
BABSON PARK, Mass. — The Bates men’s tennis team played its only dual match of the fall season on Friday, winning 6-2 at Babson College in a non-conference contest at the Farwell Courts.
With the win, Bates, which ended last season ranked 16th in the country in the ITA national poll, improved to 1-0, while Babson opened its season at 0-1.
The doubles portion of the match featured a fantastic battle between Bates’ All-American duo of seniors Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) and Matt Bettles (Taunton, England), which ended last season ranked fifth in the nation, and the young Babson tandem of sophomore Ramone Doyley (Kingston, Jamaica) and first-year Roberto Perez (Pozuelo de Alarcon, Spain). After taking their opponents to a tie-breaker at 8-8, Doyley and Perez appeared to be on their way to a stunning upset when they raced out to a 5-2 lead, but Crampton and Bettles answered by winning five consecutive points to take the match, 9-8 (7-5). Meanwhile, the Bobcats also received matching 8-4 wins from the teams of sophomore Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.) and junior Peter Yanofsky (Belmont, Mass.) at number two and sophomore Henry Lee (Sag Harbor, N.Y.) and senior Dylan Reffe (Washington, D.C.) at number three.
Babson received a straight-set 6-2, 6-2 victory from Victor Vu at number four and a hard-fought 3-6, 6-1, (10-6) come-from-behind super-breaker win from senior Simeon Human at number six. However, Bates took three of the remaining four matches to secure the overall victory, including another well-contested match at the number one singles spot. After dropping the first set to Crampton, who yesterday defeated Bettles in Lewiston to settle the Singles A Flight championship of last weekend’s Middlebury Invitational, Perez battled back to take the second and force a third-set super-breaker. The senior and the freshman then continued to play evenly throughout the tie-break before Crampton pulled away to secure the 6-2, 2-6, (12-10) win.
Bates sophomores Planche and Lee both won in straight sets at third and fifth singles, respectively.
Bates will next be in action at the ITA Tournament at Williams beginning one week from today.
Bates College 6, Babson College 2
Sep 21, 2012 at Babson Park, MA (Farwell Courts)
1. Robert Crampton (BAT) def. Roberto Perez (BAB) 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 (12-10)
2. Isaac Thylen (BAB) vs. Matt Bettles (BAT) 4-6, 4-4, unfinished
3. Pierre Planche (BAT) def. Ramone Doyley (BAB) 7-5, 6-3
4. Victor Vu (BAB) def. Peter Yanofsky (BAT) 6-2, 6-2
5. Henry Lee (BAT) def. Davin Garcia (BAB) 6-2, 6-1
6. Simeon Human (BAB) def. Eric Ruta (BAT) 3-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-6)
1. Robert Crampton/Matt Bettles (BAT) def. Roberto Perez/Ramone Doyley (BAB) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Pierre Planche/Peter Yanofsky (BAT) def. Victor Vu/Simeon Human (BAB) 8-4
3. Henry Lee/Dylan Reffe (BAT) def. Connor DeFiore/Isaac Thylen (BAB) 8-4