Swimming and diving teams sweep Trinity
HARTFORD, Conn. — The Bates College men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams had no trouble outperforming NESCAC rival Trinity College in the Bantams’ home pool on Sunday — the Bates men won the dual meet 177.5-47.5, while the Bates women won by a score of 159-61 at Trinity Natatorium. The Bates men are now 2-0 after yesterday’s head-to-head win at Wesleyan.
The Bates women kicked off the meet with a winning performance in the 200 medley relay, with first-year Whitney Paine (Moultonborough, N.H.), senior Catherine Sparks (New Canaan, Conn.), senior Katy Zingale (Sudbury, Mass.) and junior Gabrielle Sergi (Newburyport, Mass.) finishing in 1:54.12.
Other Bates women’s highlights:
- Senior Tara Dugan (Wilton, Conn.) won the 1,000 free in 11:10.02.
- First-year Saya Higano (Wayland, Mass.) led a 1-2-3 Bates sweep in the 200 free, in 2:02.87, followed by sophomore Nell Briggs (Concord, Mass.) at 2:03.01 and first-year Caroline Depew (Hudson, Ohio) in in 2:04.07.
- First-year Lindsey Prelgovisk (Oakland, Maine) won the 200 IM in 2:14.82.
- Sergi won the 50 free (25.36).
- Zingale edged Dugan in the 200 fly, 2:21.14 to 2:21.58.
- First-year Melissa Paione (Auburn, Maine) edged Higano in the 200 breast, 2:34.37 to 2:34.82.
- Sophomore Kristen Barry (West Hartford, Conn.) won the 500 free in 5:32.16.
- Paine won the 200 back in 2:20.38.
- Prelgovisk, Depew, Briggs and Sparks won the 200 free relay in 1:45.13.
The Bates men also won both relay events, and sophomore Alex Smachlo (Rexford, Pa.) led the Bobcats with first-place finishes in both the 1,000-yard freestyle (10:29.09) and the 500-yard freestyle (5:05.95).
Other Bates men’s highlights:
- In an exciting race, Trinity senior Mark Yanagisawa tied for first with Bates junior Venkatesh Duvvuri (South Orange, N.J.) in the 200-yard IM, as both swimmers clocked in at an identical time of 2:05.18.
- Senior Nick Karlson (Wayland, Mass.) touched the wall first in the 50 free at 22.53, then won the 100 free in 50.06.
- Sophomore Matthew Gagne (Winnetka, Ill.) led a 1-2-3 Bates sweep in the 200 free, in 1:51.34, followed by senior captain Mike Hanley (Tolland, Conn.) in 1:55.54 and sophomore Andrew Briggs (York, Maine) in 1:56.65.
- Senior captain Travis Jones’ (Ithaca, N.Y.) only competitor for the second straight day was first-year teammate Porter Harrast (Decatur, Ga.). Jones scored 228.52 points to win at 1 meter and 228.52 to win at 3 meters.
- First-year Ben Sommer (Evanston, Ill.) won the 200 back in 2:05.61.
- Andrew Briggs also placed first in the 200 breast (2:23.21).
Bates will play host to Division I Maine in a dual meet at Tarbell Pool on Dec. 8, starting at 1pm.