Swimming and diving sweep dual meet at Norwich
NORTHFIELD, Vt. — The Bates swimming and diving teams responded well in their first meet following their eight-day training trip to Florida, winning every event on both the men’s and women’s sides in a dual meet at Norwich University on Saturday.
The Bates men defeated Norwich by a 225-74 score, while the Bates women coasted to a 224-24 win over the Cadets. Bates stays in Vermont for a dual meet at NESCAC rival Middlebury on Sunday afternoon.
“The team did a great job after a very challenging training trip,” said head coach Peter Casares. “Eight days of getting very good at practicing makes racing tough. They focused on pace and endurance in Florida, so finding speed didn’t come easy. Seeing them have to sprint the short events tonight was great, and they responded well to the challenge. Overall they took a great step toward fast swimming in February.”
Highlights for the Bates women included first-year Caroline Depew’s (Hudson, Ohio) victories in the 50 free (25.64) and the 500 free (5:25.73), as well as senior captain Catherine Sparks’ (New Canaan, Conn.) wins in the 50 breast (31.53) and 100 individual medley (1:04.24). Other winning performances for the women included:
- Sophomore Kristen Barry (West Hartford, Conn.) won the 1,000 free (11:18.74).
- Junior Emily Depew (Hudson, Ohio) won the 50 back in 29.36.
- Junior Gabrielle Sergi (Newburyport, Mass.) won the 200 free (2:00.80) and 100 back (1:03.26).
- Senior Tara Dugan (Wilton, Conn.) won the 100 fly in 1:05.37.
- Junior Carly Hinkle (Arlington, Va.) won the 100 free in 57.76.
- Senior Katy Zingale (Sudbury, Mass.) won the 50 fly in 28.11.
The Bates men’s team brightest spots included sophomore Andrew Seaton’s (Wayne, Pa.) first career victory — a time of 29.62 in the 50 breast. Others were senior Andrew Buehler’s (Kenilworth, Ill.) wins in the 100 free (51.16) and 100 fly (55.06), junior Venkatesh Duvvuri’s (South Orange, N.J.) wins in the 50 back (26.08) and 50 fly (23.98), and last but not least, sophomore Matthew Gagne’s (Winnetka, Ill.) pool-record performance in the 100 IM (55.64). Also winning events for the male Bobcats:
- Sophomore Andrew Briggs (York, Maine) won the 1,000 free (10:49.64) and the 500 free (5:06.98).
- Senior Matt Johns (Seaford, N.Y.) won the 200 free (1:52.25).
- Gagne also won the 50 free in 22.54.
- Senior Travis Jones (Ithaca, N.Y.) took first place in 1-meter diving (174.45) and 3-meter (261.75)
- Firs-year Ben Sommer (Evanston, Ill.) won the 100 back (56.84)
- First-year Hikaru Asao (Cupertino, Calif.) won the 100 breast (1:03.56).