Women’s track beats Maine for first at Bates Invitational
LEWISTON, Maine — The Bates women’s track and field team scored a big win on Saturday over the University of Maine and five other squads as it played host to the Bates Invitational. The Bobcats also won four events and saw one team record fall.
The Bobcats scored 201.5 points, outscoring the Division I Black Bears (192.5) by nine. Colby came in third with 149, followed by Southern Maine with 127 and Husson with five. Bowdoin participated only in Friday’s pentathlon, scoring seven points.
First-year Alexis Dickinson (Brunswick, Maine) won the 60-meter dash finals in 8.13 seconds, after recording the second-best preliminary time (8.18) out of a field of 25. Dickinson later finished fifth in the 200, at 27.26. Dickinson’s time smashes the former team record of 8.31 set last year by Lizzy Carleton ’12.
Also winning events for Bates:
- Sophomore Sarah Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) was the victor in the 600 meters, finishing in 1:36.84.
- First-year Isabelle Unger (Charlotte, Vt.) won the 800 meters in 2:27.24.
- Bates won the 4×400 relay with a time of 4:18.31. sophomore Amelia Oliver (Potomac, Md.), Fusco, senior Elise Levesque (West Simsbury, Conn.) and senior Kate DeAngelis (Lewiston, Maine).
Other top-three and notable performances included:
- First-year Mary Krathwohl (Ipswich, Mass.) claimed second place in the long jump, at 15-9.75. She also placed fourth in the triple jump, at 33-6.5.
- Senior Ansley Flanagan (Roxbury, Conn.) and sophomore Colby Gail (Topsham, Maine) tied for second place in the high jump, at 5-2.25. Gail also took second place in the weight throw, at 44-8.75, and was fourth in the shot put (32-8.5).
- Sophomore Alyssa Morgosh (Carlsbad, Calif.) was second in the shot put (34-2.25).
- First-year Carolyn Benner (Eddington, Maine) and junior Jenny Snyder (Scarborough, Maine) were second and third, respectively, in the triple jump, at 34-1.25 and 33-6.5.
- Junior Mira Carey-Hatch (Laconia, N.H.) finished third in the 5,000 meters, in 18:43.42.
- First-year Melanie Ehrenberg (Rumson, N.J.) came in third in the pole vault, topping out at 10 feet even.
- Junior Kallie Nixon (Medfield, Mass.) placed third in the 1,000 (3:11.15).
- Junior Devin Tatro (Haverhill, Mass.) placed third in the 3,000, at 10:46.90.
Bates competes next weekend in the Terrier Classic at Boston University on Friday, and at the USM Invitational on Saturday.