Ariffin wins in return, but Brown still tops women’s squash
PROVIDENCE, R.I. — The No. 15 nationally ranked Bates women’s squash team benefitted from the return of No. 1 player Nessrine Ariffin, but host and ninth-ranked Brown University prevailed 7-2 on Sunday.
Ariffin (Penang, Malaysia) played her first complete match since Nov. 30, defeating Brown’s No. 1 player, Dori Rahbar, in four games after spotting Rahbar the fist game, 8-11, 11-7, 11-5, 14-12.
At No. 2, senior captain Cheri-Ann Parris (St. Philip, Barbados) prevailed in an extended battle with Brown’s Sarah Domenick, and again the Bobcats prevailed, with Parris winning a 3-2 (9-11, 11-6, 7-11, 16-14, 11-7) decision.
The host Bears swept positions 3 through 9 for the win, though Bates sophomore Myriam Kelly (New York, N.Y.) nearly came back from a 2-0 deficit to beat Mina Shakarshy at No. 3, falling 3-2 (11-5, 12-10, 7-11, 8-11, 11-6).
Up next for Bates is the NESCAC Championship, hosted this weekend (Feb. 1-3) by Trinity and Wesleyan. Bates’ opponent is yet to be determined.
Brown 7, Bates 2
Jan. 27, 2013 at Providence, R.I.
1. Rahbar,Dori H. (Brown) def. by Ariffin,Nessrine (Bates) 8-11,11-7,11-5,14-12
2. Domenick,Sarah (Brown) def. by Parris,Cheri-Ann (Bates) 9-11,11-6,7-11,16-14,11-7
3. Shakarshy,Mina (Brown) def. Kelly,Myriam (Bates) 11-5,12-10,7-11,8-11,11-6
4. Crosky,Sarah (Brown) def. Mitchell,Chloe (Bates) 11-8,11-7,5-11,11-5
5. Elliott-Moskwa,Katherine V. (Brown) def. Bourke,Lesea (Bates) 12-10,11-9,11-9
6. Pitaro,Isabel S (Brown) def. Drammeh,Rakey (Bates) 11-4,11-4,11-8
7. Murphy,Skylar (Brown) def. Williams,Lauren A. (Bates) 11-5,11-9,11-9
8. Beresford,Sarah E (Brown) def. Bragg,Alison H (Bates) 11-6,11-6,11-3
9. Richmond,Emily C. (Brown) def. Korein,Emma A. (Bates) 11-3,11-0,11-1
Exh. Smith,Lydia C (Brown) def. Betances,Sugeiry (Bates) 11-3,11-2,11-3