Men’s squash tops Camels, loses at Brown
PROVIDENCE, R.I. — The No. 14 nationally ranked Bates men’s squash team scored a 6-3 win over NESCAC opponent Connecticut College on Saturday, before heading to Brown University on Sunday for a 5-4 setback against the 18th-ranked Bears.
At Brown, first-year Ahmed Abdel Khalek (Cairo, Egypt) rose to 11-1 at the No. 1 position with his 10th 3-0 win of the season, defeating Blake Reinson 11-5, 11-6, 11-8. At No. 4, Bates senior R.J. Keating (Short Hills, N.J.) won in five games for the second straight day, prevailing 11-7, 7-11, 11-9, 11-13, 11-4 over Jack Blasberg. Sophomore Nabil Saleem (Alpharetta, Ga.) won 3-0 at No. 7 and first-year Caran Arora (Mumbai, India) defeated Charles Lebovitz in four games at No. 8. Senior captain Walter Cabot (Dover, Mass.) suffered a grueling 3-2 (10-12, 8-11, 11-5, 13-11, 12-10) defeat at No. 3 in the match that essentially decided the winning side.
Bates (9-8) defeated the 23rd-ranked Camels on Saturday, with the Bobcats sweeping the first five positions: Abdel Khalek at No. 1, junior Kristian Muldoon (Paget, Bermuda) at No. 2, Cabot at No. 3, Keating at No. 4 and first-year Filip Michalsky (Prague, Czech Republic) at No. 5. Sophomore Jason Shrubb (Hamilton, Bermuda) won another point for Bates at No. 8. The Camels (7-10) won all three of their points with five-game decisions, over Saleem at No. 6, arora at No. 7 and senior David Born (Westbrook, Maine) at No. 9.
Up next for Bates is the NESCAC Championship, hosted this weekend (Feb. 1-3) by Trinity and Wesleyan. Bates’ opponent is yet to be determined.
Bates 6, Connecticut College 3
Jan. 26, 2013 at New London, Conn.
1. Garza,Caleb (CC) def. by Abdel Khalek,Ahmed M. (B) 11-7,11-5,11-2
2. Mullen,Brian (CC) def. by Muldoon,Kristian (B) 8-11,11-7,11-8,11-8
3. Thaler,Benjamin A. (CC) def. by Cabot III,Walter M. (B) 11-7,11-9,11-5
4. Sluder,John C. (CC) def. by Keating,R.J. (B) 4-11,11-9,11-8,8-11,11-7
5. Bolling,Hunter (CC) def. by Michalsky,Filip (B) 11-5,11-9,9-11,11-7
6. Welty,Asa (CC) def. Saleem,Nabil (B) 13-11,5-11,11-8,4-11,12-10
7. Coscarelli,Michael C. (CC) def. Arora,Caran (B) 12-10,9-11,11-5,9-11,11-4
8. Curtis,Justin M. (CC) def. by Shrubb,Jason A (B) 8-11,12-10,11-9,11-3
9. Moran,Santiago (CC) def. Born,David (B) 9-11,6-11,11-6,11-9,11-7
Brown 5, Bates 4
Jan. 27, 2013 at Providence, R.I.
1. Reinson,Blake A. (Brown) def. by Abdel Khalek,Ahmed M. (Bates) 11-5,11-6,11-8
2. Booth,Oliver B. (Brown) def. Muldoon,Kristian (Bates) 11-7,11-8,11-9
3. O Connor,Eamon F (Brown) def. Cabot III,Walter M. (Bates) 10-12,8-11,11-5,13-11,12-10
4. Blasberg,Jack M. (Brown) def. by Keating,R.J. (Bates) 11-7,7-11,11-9,11-13,11-4
5. Holter,Christopher L (Brown) def. Cannon,Andy (Bates) 11-4,11-8,11-7
6. Snower,Michael A (Brown) def. Michalsky,Filip (Bates) 11-7,11-5,5-11,14-12
7. Holberton,Tod (Brown) def. by Saleem,Nabil (Bates) 13-11,11-6,11-7
8. Lebovitz,Charles C. (Brown) def. by Arora,Caran (Bates) 11-6,4-11,11-9,11-6
9. Hsu,Alexander Y (Brown) def. Shrubb,Jason A (Bates) 11-6,10-12,11-4,11-8
Exh. Bhavnani,Avinash (Brown) def. by Born,David (Bates) 11-8,11-4,4-11,7-11,12-10