Women’s squash upsets Williams at CSA Nationals
NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Throwing the seedings out the window — which doesn’t happen very often in college squash — the No. 15 nationally ranked Bates women’s squash team scored a 5-4 triumph over rival and 10th-ranked Williams on Friday in the quarterfinal round of Kurtz Cup play at CSA Team Nationals.
Bates (7-12), which defeated Williams 13 months ago for the first time in 24 matches, advances to the Kurtz Cup (B Division) semifinals; the Bobcats will meet another NESCAC rival, No. 11 Middlebury, at 4pm Saturday at Yale.
Sophomore All-American Nessrine Ariffin’s return to the lineup gave Bates a big boost. Coming back from her second injured stretch of the season, in her first match since Feb. 3, Ariffin (Penang, Malaysia) handed Williams’ No. 1 player, Alli Rubin, a straight-game defeat. Senior captain Cheri-Ann Parris (St. Philip, Barbados) and sophomore Myriam Kelly (Bronx, N.Y.) made it a Bates sweep of the top three positions, with Parris sweeping Laura Henry at No. 2 and Kelly doing the same against Ellie O’Neill at No. 3.
Bates got its final two points at the eighth and ninth positions. At No. 8, junior Rakey Drammeh (New York, N.Y.) scored a 3-0 win over Lily Grant, and at No. 9, junior Samantha Matos (New York, N.Y.) was a 3-1 winner over Mia Fry.
Bates first-year Lauren Williams (Bulawayo, Zimbabwe) nearly made it a 6-3 Bobcat win in her 3-2 (6-11, 11-8, 10-12, 11-3, 11-4) loss at No. 7 to Hannah Kaemmer. Sophomore Chloe Mitchell (Chatham, N.J.) and sophomore Lesea Bourke (Greenwich, Conn.) both won games in 3-1 losses at Nos. 4 and 5, respectively.
The second-seeded team in the Kurtz Cup, Williams (15-11) will next face Franklin & Marshall, which fell 9-0 to Middlebury today, in the consolation bracket.
Bates 5, Williams 4
Feb. 15, 2013 at Yale
1. Ariffin, Nessrine (Bates) def. Rubin, Alli (Williams) 11-9, 11-4, 11-8
2. Parris, Cheri-Ann (Bates) def. Henry, Laura E (Williams) 11-9, 11-6, 11-5
3. Kelly, Myriam (Bates) def. O’Neill, Ellie (Williams) 11-6, 11-8, 11-5
4. Mitchell, Chloe (Bates) def. by Northrop, Alyssa (Williams) 11-7, 11-6, 5-11, 12-10
5. Bourke, Lesea (Bates) def. by Feshbach, Nicole D. (Williams) 11-5, 13-15, 11-9, 11-7
6. Bragg, Alison H (Bates) def. by Sawin, Caroline C (Williams) 12-10, 11-9, 11-9
7. Williams, Lauren A. (Bates) def. by Kaemmer, Hannah M (Williams) 6-11, 11-8, 10-12, 11-3, 11-4
8. Drammeh, Rakey (Bates) def. Grant, Lily (Williams) 11-7, 11-7, 11-9
9. Matos, Samantha (Bates) def. Fry, Mia A (Williams) 11-8, 13-15, 11-6, 12-10