Fifteenth-ranked men’s tennis falls 7-2 at No. 5 CMS
CLAREMONT, Calif. — The 15th-ranked Bates men’s tennis team completed its trip to California with another competitive result on Saturday, a 7-2 defeat at No. 5 nationally ranked Claremont-Mudd-Scripps.
First doubles was a matchup of the third-ranked doubles team in Division III, CMS’s Joe Dorn and Warren Wood, against the 10th-ranked Bates duo, senior two-time All-Americans Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.). The host team prevailed 8-6 in the showdown.
Bates earned a point at No. 2 doubles, as junior Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) and sophomore Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.) outslugged Nikolas Marino and Alex Lane in a tiebreaker. But CMS completed doubles play with a 2-1 lead as Skyler Butts and Neel Kotrappa edged Bates juniors Peter Yanofsky (Belmont, Mass.) and Ben Bogard (Lido Beach, N.Y.) at third doubles.
Bettles then scored Bates’ lone singles victory, a 6-4, 7-5 decision over Dorn at No. 2. Falling in other competitive singles matches were Berg against Marino in a super tiebreaker at No. 3 (6-2, 4-6, (10-8)), Planche at No. 4 against Lane (6-3, 7-5) and Crampton at No. 1 against Wood (7-5, 6-2).
The Bobcats (2-2) next play at MIT on March 6 at 4pm.
Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 7, Bates 2
Feb. 23, 2013 at Claremont, Calif.
1. Joe Dorn/Warren Wood (CMS) def. Rob Crampton/Matt Bettles 8-6
2. Timmy Berg/Pierre Planche (Bates) def. Nikolas Marino/Alex Lane 9-8(7)
3. Skyler Butts/Neel Kotrappa (CMS) def. Peter Yanofsky/Ben Bogard 8-5
1. Warren Wood (CMS) def. Rob Crampton 7-5, 6-2
2. Matt Bettles (Bates) def. Joe Dorn 6-4, 7-5
3. Nikolas Marino (CMS) def. Timmy Berg 6-2, 4-6, (10-8)
4. Alex Lane (CMS) def. Pierre Planche 6-3, 7-5
5. Alex Johnson (CMS) def. Henry Lee 6-1, 6-3
6. Mac Cahill (CMS) def. Dylan Reffe 6-4, 6-0