Men’s squash beats Penn 5-4, finishes 13th in CSA
NEW HAVEN, Conn. — The Bates men’s squash team ended a successful weekend at CSA Men’s Team Nationals on a winning note, defeating the University of Pennsylvania 5-4 in the Hoehn Cup (B Division) consolation finals to claim 13th place in the final national rankings.
Penn (5-12) finishes 14th in the final rankings by virtue of the upset loss. The Quakers, who entered the tournament seeded 12th while Bates was 15th, had defeated the Bobcats 5-4 in their season opener on Nov. 17, 2012 at Yale.
With team competition now complete, Bates (15-10) will send some players to the CSA Individual Nationals next weekend at Trinity.
In a highly competitive match, four of the nine matchups went a full five games, with Bates claiming three of those. The two four-game matches were split by either side, and Penn won two of three three-set matches.
Bates senior captain Walter Cabot (Dover, Mass.), senior R.J. Keating (Short Hills, N.J.) and sophomore Andy Cannon (Greenwich, Conn.) keyed the victory with 3-2 wins at the third, fourth and fifth positions, respectively. Keating and Cannon both came back from 2-1 deficits to win, while Cabot outscored Liam Quinn 11-3 in the fifth set to claim his victory. Keating’s win clinched the team win for Bates, for the second straight day.
At the No. 1 position, first-year Ahmed Abdel Khalek (Cairo, Egypt) coasted to an 11-3, 11-0, 11-6 win over Danny Greenberg, as the recently named NESCAC Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year moved to 20-1 on the season against Bates opponents’ top players.
Sophomore Nabil Saleem (Alpharetta, Ga.) dropped his first game by a 12-10 score against Jack Maine at No. 6, then ripped off three straight 11-7 games to win 3-1.
Bates 5, Penn 4
Feb. 24, 2013 at Choate (Wallingford, Conn.)
1. Greenberg, Danny (Penn) def. by Abdel Khalek, Ahmed M. (Bates) 11-3, 11-0, 11-6
2. Chilvers, Derek (Penn) def. Muldoon, Kristian (Bates) 11-4, 12-10, 11-1
3. Quinn, Liam T. (Penn) def. by Cabot III, Walter M. (Bates) 11-9, 11-7, 8-11, 7-11, 11-3
4. Frank, August c (Penn) def. by Keating, R.J. (Bates) 4-11, 11-5, 8-11, 11-5, 11-8
5. Mutscheller, Michael V (Penn) def. by Cannon, Andy (Bates) 11-4, 12-14, 7-11, 11-7, 11-8
6. Maine, Jack (Penn) def. by Saleem, Nabil (Bates) 10-12, 11-7, 11-7, 11-7
7. Odell, Tyler (Penn) def. Michalsky, Filip (Bates) 11-5, 9-11, 11-8, 11-6
8. Ang, Justin (Penn) def. Arora, Caran (Bates) 11-9, 11-8, 8-11, 7-11, 11-6
9. Judd, Daniel (Penn) def. Born, David (Bates) 11-6, 11-6, 12-10