Men’s tennis falls 6-3 at undefeated MIT
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — With the No. 15 nationally ranked Bates men’s tennis team missing senior All-American Rob Crampton due to sickness, the Bobcats accepted a hard-fought 6-3 non-conference loss at MIT on Wednesday evening.
Sophomore Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.) and junior Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) moved up from No. 2 doubles to No. 1 doubles, while Crampton’s All-America doubles teammate, senior Matt Bettles (Taunton, England), played second doubles with sophomore Henry Lee (Sag Harbor, N.Y.). The switch proved effective, as Planche and Berg routed Edwin Zhang and Curtis Wu 8-1 at No. 1, and Bettles and Lee edged Larry Pang and Matthew Skalak at No. 2. At third doubles, MIT’s Eugene Oh and Wang prevailed 8-5 over Bates junior Ben Bogard (Lido Beach, N.Y.) and senior Dylan Reffe (Washington, D.C.), sending Bates into singles play with a 2-1 lead.
The Engineers (7-0) preserved their undefeated record this season by winning five out of six singles matches — two of them close three-set affairs, with Pang defeating Berg 6-7, 7-6, 6-4 at No. 2 and Wang edging Planche 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 at No. 3. Bogard won Bates’ lone singles point with a 6-2, 7-5 win over Wu at No. 5.
Bates (2-3) next plays at Middlebury in a NESCAC match on Saturday at 9am.
MIT 6, Bates 3
Mar 6, 2013 at Cambridge, Mass. (J.B. Carr Tennis Bubble)
1. Pierre Planche/Timmy Berg (BATM) def. Edwin Zhang/Curtis Wu (MIT) 8-1
2. Henry Lee/Matt Bettles (BATM) def. Larry Pang/Matthew Skalak (MIT) 8-6
3. Eugene Oh/Kevin Wang (MIT) def. Ben Bogard/Dylan Reffe (BATM) 8-5
1. Edwin Zhang (MIT) def. Matt Bettles (BATM) 6-4, 6-2
2. Larry Pang (MIT) def. Timmy Berg (BATM) 6-7, 7-6, 6-4
3. Kevin Wang (MIT) def. Pierre Planche (BATM) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Eugene Oh (MIT) def. Henry Lee (BATM) 6-1, 7-5
5. Ben Bogard (BATM) def. Curtis Wu (MIT) 6-2, 7-5
6. Matthew Skalak (MIT) def. Andrew Salvador (BATM) 6-2, 6-1