Women’s tennis team tramples Babson, 8-1
LEWISTON, Maine — The No. 28 nationally ranked Bates women’s tennis team rolled past Babson 8-1 on Friday for its second straight victory at home.
Bates (3-2) swept all six singles matches after winning two out of three doubles points. Bates singles players swept all 12 sets combined, allowing only seven games combined in second-set play.
Babson (8-5) received its point at No. 2 doubles, where Alexis Ferraro and Tori Paolino won 9-7 over Bates senior Jacqui Holmes (Harvard, Mass.) and junior Lucy Brennan (Wellesley, Mass.). Sophomore Elena Mandzhukova (Lisbon, Portugal) and senior Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) won 8-2 at No. 1 doubles, and senior Nicole Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) and junior Kristen Doerer (Madison, Conn.) were 8-2 winners as well at third doubles.
Bates is scheduled to play its NESCAC opener at Middlebury on Sunday morning at 9am.
Bates 8, Babson 1
March 8, 2013 at Bates
1. Elena Mandzhukova/Ashley Brunk (BAT) def. Sarah Whitaker/Alex Freeman (BAB) 8-2
2. Alexis Ferraro/Tori Paolino (BAB) def. Jacquelyn Holmes/Lucy Brennan (BAT) 9-7
3. Nicole Russell/Kristen Doerer (BAT) def. Victoria Lorido/Minte Tamoshunas (BAB) 8-2
1. Elena Mandzhukova (BAT) def. Alex Freeman (BAB) 7-6 (7-5), 6-0
2. Jacquelyn Holmes (BAT) def. Sarah Whitaker (BAB) 6-1, 6-1
3. Ashley Brunk (BAT) def. Alexis Ferraro (BAB) 6-1, 6-3
4. Lucy Brennan (BAT) def. Minte Tamoshunas (BAB) 6-0, 6-0
5. Nicole Russell (BAT) def. Victoria Lorido (BAB) 6-2, 6-1
6. Audrey Grauer (BAT) def. Courtney Fischer (BAB) 7-5, 6-2