Women’s tennis competitive with No. 8 Middlebury
MIDDLEBURY, Vt. — The Bates women’s tennis team’s No. 3 doubles team, senior Nicole Russell and junior Kristen Doerer, scored an 8-3 victory to highlight the No. 28 Bobcats’ 8-1 loss at sixth-ranked Middlebury on Sunday morning.
Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) and Doerer (Madison, Conn.) earned Bates’ only point, but the Bobcats were competitive in a number of singles matches as well. Sophomore Elena Mandzhukova (Lisbon, Portugal) played the second-ranked singles player in Division III, Lok Sze Leung, well in a 6-3, 6-4 loss. Senior Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) took a 1-0 lead in a 2-6, 6-2, 6-2 loss to Leah Kepping at No. 3 singles, and Russell pushed Sadie Shackelford to a 7-5 decision in the first set of her loss at fifth singles.
Bates (3-3, 0-1 NESCAC) will play at Brandeis on Saturday, March 16 at 1pm.
Middlebury 8, Bates 1
March 10, 2013 at Middlebury
1. Brittney Faber/Leah Kepping (Midd) def. Ashley Brunk/Elena Mandzhukova (Bates) 8-1
2. Ria Gerger/Lok Sze Leung (Midd) def. Jacqui Holmes/Lucy Brennan (Bates) 8-1
3. Nicole Russell/Kristen Doerer (Bates) def. Sadie Shackelford/Katie Paradies (Midd) 8-3
1. Lok Sze Leung (Midd) def. Elena Mandzhukova (Bates) 6-3, 6-4
2. Ria Gerger (Midd) def. Jacqui Holmes (Bates) 6-0, 6-2
3. Leah Kepping (Midd) def. Ashley Brunk (Bates) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Katie Paradies (Midd) def. Lucy Brennan (Bates) 6-1, 6-3
5. Sadie Shackelford (Midd) def. Nicole Russell (Bates) 7-5, 6-1
6. DeeDee Myers (Midd) def. Audrey Grauer (Bates) 6-3, 6-0