Men’s tennis wins 7-2 at Brandeis
Posted by: Andy Walter on March 15, 2013Tags: wins
WALTHAM, Mass. — The 21st-ranked Bates men’s tennis team swept doubles play en route to a 7-2 win at Brandeis University on Friday night, in a match that lasted five hours and 50 minutes.
After the Bobcat dynamic duo of junior Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) and sophomore Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.) opened the scoring with a win over the Judges’ pair of Mitch Krems and Alec Siegel at No. 2 doubles, 8-4, the other two matches went the distance. Senior Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) returned to team up with fellow senior two-time All-American Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) after a two-match absence, and the pair grinded out a 9-8 (7-5) victory at first doubles over Josh Jordan and Steven Milo. Bettles and Crampton rallied from 4-2 down in the tiebreaker. At third doubles, it was junior Ben Bogard (Lido Beach, N.Y.) and sophomore Henry Lee (Sag Harbor, N.Y.) who downed Danny Lubarsky and Dave Yovanoff, 7-4 in the tiebreaker.
Milo and Crampton continued their battle into first singles, where Milo’s super-tiebreaker first-set win fueled him to a 7-6 (12-10), 6-1 victory over the recently ill Crampton. Yet another long tiebreaker enabled the Bobcats to move within one point of victory when Berg defeated Krems, 6-4, 7-6 (9-7) at No. 3. The visitors closed the match out with the only three-set match of the night at No. 2, where Bettles defeated Jordan, 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 6-1. Brandeis recorded their second point at No. 6 singles as the evening wore down, where Siegel topped Bogard in a pro-set, 8-6.
Bates (3-4, 0-1 NESCAC) plays its second NESCAC match of the season on Tuesday, hosting Colby at 4pm (Video).
#21 Bates College 7, Brandeis 2
March 15, 2013 at Brandeis
1. Steven Milo (BRMTEN) def. Rob Crampton (BATM) 7-6 (12-10), 6-1
2. Matt Bettles (BATM) def. Josh Jordan (BRMTEN) 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 6-1
3. Timmy Berg (BATM) def. Mitch Krems (BRMTEN) 6-4, 7-6 (9-7)
4. Pierre Planche (BATM) def. David Yovanoff (BRMTEN) 6-1, 6-2
5. Henry Lee (BATM) def. Michael Secular (BRMTEN) 6-3, 6-4
6. Alec Siegel (BRMTEN) def. Ben Bogard (BATM) 8-6
1. Matt Bettles/Rob Crampton (BATM) def. Josh Jordan/Steven Milo (BRMTEN) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Timmy Berg/Pierre Planche (BATM) def. Mitch Krems/Alec Siegel (BRMTEN) 8-4
3. Ben Bogard/Henry Lee (BATM) def. Danny Lubarsky/David Yovanoff (BRMTEN) 9-8 (7-4)
Department of Athletics & Physical Education
130 Central Ave.
Lewiston, Maine 04240
Phone: 1-207-786-6341 firstname.lastname@example.org