The Bates Athletic Department has the highest of expectations for those who participate in the varsity sport programs. To this end, as a condition of participation, every student-athlete annually asserts that s/he has read, understands, and agrees to abide by these policies.
Spectator Code of Conduct – “Loud and proud, but positive!”
In the spirit of good sportsmanship and favorable spectator involvement at Bates College athletic contests, fans are strongly encouraged to be loud, to be proud, but to be POSITIVE. To help ensure exemplary spectator conduct at sporting events, the following will be in effect for all home contests:
1. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited at athletic contests. Anyone attempting to bring alcohol into an athletic contest will be denied entry and anyone discovered in possession of alcohol at a contest will be removed from the event.
2. Anyone entering an athletic contest who the Athletics contest management staff believes is under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs will be denied admission and anyone present at a contest whom the Athletics contest management staff believes is under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs will be removed from the event.
3. Any person(s) using inflammatory language and/or displaying inciting actions at a contest will be warned by the Athletics contest management staff that continuation of the activity will result in their ejection from the contest. If the language and/or activity continues, the offending person(s) will be removed. In a particularly flagrant case of inflammatory language and/or inciting action, the offending person(s) may be removed immediately without a warning. The determination of whether certain language is inflammatory and/or action is inciting will be a judgment made by the Athletics contest management staff and will apply whether the offense is aimed at the contest participants, officials, other spectators, or the management staff.
4. Any spectator entering onto the playing area of the contest while the contest is in progress, or who refuses to remain in the designated spectator area, will be subject to immediate ejection.
5. Any signs, banners, shirts, noisemakers, etc. deemed inflammatory by the contest management staff, or is in violation of NCAA policies, will be removed.
In addition to action taken by the Athletics contest management staff, Bates student offenders of these regulations will also be referred to the Dean of Students Office for disciplinary action.