Starting a Student Club
Presenting a new club proposal to Bates College Student Government (BCSG) is simple. Here is a basic outline of how to start a new club at Bates College:
- Any group that wishes to be an officially recognized club must first submit a New Student Club Application. In order for the process to run smoothly, constitutions included in the application must be well-formatted and thought out. Please refer to the Constitution Format Example for correct constitutional format. The Budgets & Clubs Board (BCB) looks well upon clubs who have carefully considered each of the constitution articles and have clearly put time into the document. Similarly, BCB looks favorably upon clubs that have clearly demonstrated an effort to bolster the sustainability of the club by including several first or second year students in their list of members. The New Student Club Application should be submitted by 11:59pm on the Saturday before the next BCB meeting.
- BCB members will thoroughly examine and discuss the submitted documents and ensure that each document meets the standards for an officially recognized club. BCB operates as transparently as possible; standards and considerations are laid out in the Criteria For Approval.
- BCB will then vote to approve bringing the organization’s constitution to BCSG. This decision will be made on majority vote.
- If the club is not approved by BCB, the organization can then choose to enter the appeals process.
- If the organization is approved by BCB, it will then go to the BCSG Assembly. A majority vote is required to approve the organization and provide it with official club status.