Short Term Enrichment Programs (STEP)
Short Term Enrichment Programs (STEP) funding is designed to enable students to teach skills and impart knowledge in a setting outside of the classroom.
STEPs may follow any format – a traditional course structure with regular meetings, a one-off event, or anything you can think of!
Any individual student, student club, or student organization may apply for this funding. Please note that the Office of Campus Life recommends a minimum of two weeks’ planning time for STEP in order to accommodate logistical needs as they arise.
Applications will be reviewed by the Office of Campus Life based on the following criteria:
- Proposed event/program must be free and open to all.
- Proposed event/program must take place during Short Term.
- Proposed event/program must enrich the academic environment at Bates beyond the classroom (note that STEP does not provide academic credits).
- If determined necessary for your proposed event/program, staffing availability.
- Other events/programs on campus on the proposed event/program date.
Once You’re Approved
You are responsible for:
- Ensuring the event/program location is reserved via events.bates.edu. STEP is a funding source, and does not function as space reservation. If the event/program is not affiliated with a club or organization, please select “Short Term Enrichment Programs (STEP)” as the reserving group when submitting your reservation.
- Note that the Office of Intercultural Education (OIE) is not reservable. To request use of the OIE for your event/program, please contact Lexie Mucci at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Publicity for the event/program. The STEP logo (provided in your approval email) must be featured prominently on all marketing materials, including but not limited to print, digital signage, and social media.
- Planning and running the event/program, including set-up and clean-up.
- If determined necessary, attending the T-30 meeting 30 minutes prior to the start of your event/program, at which important information will be shared regarding who is on site at your event/program, what their roles are, and the general event/program timeline.
- Completing the Event/Program Planner Evaluation Form after the event.
- Submitting any receipts needed to be reimbursed. Please review your approval email for more details.