Information Regarding Travel Off-Campus
About Bates Insurance
- Bates College’s property and auto insurance is provided by Travelers, liability insurance by United Educators, and travel accident insurance by The Hartford.
- When participating in Bates sponsored events, activities, and programs, and abiding by the necessary terms and conditions, the college’s auto and third party liability coverage applies and serves as the primary insurance responsible for damages incurred to the college owned or rented vehicles and to any injuries or damages to third party persons or properties. However, students’ personal medical coverage applies and serves as the primary insurance responsible for personal medical costs.
- Events, activities, and programs are covered during academic breaks, provided they are Bates sponsored. Events, activities, and programs are Bates sponsored when they are associated with a BCSG-recognized club and/or they are associated with a Bates department.
- When participating in any college sponsored event, activity, or program, such as a Bates Outing Club trip, Deansmen tour, Ultimate Frisbee tournament, etc. please make sure that you review and understand the terms and conditions of your personal medical insurance as some activities under your insurance may not be covered. If you have Cross insurance through Bates, you can visit the policy here or contact either Mike Parkin, MParkin@CrossAgency.com or Lisa Farrington, LFarrington@CrossAgency.com to learn more.
When traveling to and from a Bates sponsored event, the college’s auto and third party liability insurance will be in effect only if the following are followed:
- Driver must be certified via Bates’s Driver Safety Certification process. Driver Safety Certification must be renewed annually.
- Vehicle must be owned by the college or rented through a bona fide rental company. Information on vehicle and rental options that qualify under the Colleges policy available to faculty and students may be found here. Note: The College strongly discourages the use of a student’s personal vehicle for a Bates sponsored event. If a personal vehicle is used, the College’s auto and third party liability insurance does not apply. Responsibility will fall to the driver’s personal auto and health insurance providers, even if it is for a Bates sponsored event.
- There are 12 or fewer passengers in the vehicle.
- If it is an overnight trip, it must be approved in advance by the Office of Campus Life.
Accident and Breakdown Procedures
In the case of an accident or breakdown involving a Bates College motor vehicle, please follow the guidelines here.