Will I still be able to use my desktop mail program (Thunderbird, Apple Mail, Outlook, etc.)?
Yes. You will need to change some account settings for it to work properly, but it will all work the same way once you’ve updated your settings. Please make sure your account has the most recent version! Download the latest version of Thunderbird here.
Bates Gmail IMAP configuration settings are:
- mail server name: imap.gmail.com
- account name: Bates College
- incoming username: email@example.com (be sure to include your complete email address!)
- incoming security settings: SSL/TLS Port 993, Authentication (Password)
- outgoing mail server: smtp.gmail.com
- outgoing username: firstname.lastname@example.org (be sure to include your complete email address!)
- outgoing security settings: SSL/TLS, Port 465, Authentication (Password)