Check back for regular updates to Frequently Asked Questions about our adoption of Google Apps for Education. We’ve tried to anticipate your questions. Let us know if you have others.
- How do I create a signature file?
To create a basic signature, click on the gear icon in the top upper right corner and then click on Settings. Scroll down and enter your signature in the large signature box.
The icons above the signature box allow you to customize your signature. When you’re done, click on Save Changes at the bottom of the Settings page.
- How do I prevent messages from specific senders from being tagged as spam?
There are a couple of ways of handling messages that are mislabeled as spam. If individual messages are identified as spam, you can unmark the message by selecting the message and clicking the Not Spam button that appears at the top and bottom of your current view. The email will then be moved into your inbox.
If messages that you receive from specific persons or groups outside our domain continually get tagged as spam, you can prevent this from happening by adding their email addresses to your Contacts list. Gmail will then deliver the message to your inbox unless Google knows, with high confidence, that they are spam. Additional information on Spam can be found at the Google Help site. Information on Creating Contacts can be found here.
- How long do messages stay in the Trash?
Messages remain in the Trash for 30 days. After that, Bates Gmail permanently deletes them.
- How do I make my calendar available to others?
To share your calendar with specific users, follow the steps below.
In the calendar list on the left side of the page, highlight your name and then click the down-arrow button next to the calendar, then select share this calendar. (Alternatively, click the Settings link at the bottom of the calendar list, then select a calendar and click the Share this calendar link.)
Enter the email address of the person you want to share your calendar with.
From the drop-down menu, select a level of permission, then click Add. (Once you click Add, the person you selected to share the calendar with will receive an email invitation to view your calendar.)
You can currently share your calendar with up to 75 users per day. If you'd like to share your calendars with more users, please wait 24 hours before trying again. If you're having trouble sharing your calendar, remove the shared person from your calendar settings and share your calendar again to resolve the problem.
- How do I mark an individual event as private or public?
The privacy settings for an event are set in the event page. Information on privacy settings can be found here.
- What is happening with MeetingMaker?For more information on our migration from MeetingMaker to Google Calendar, please visit www.bates.edu/campusconnect/meeting-maker-to-google-calendar
- How Do I Create a Google Doc?In your Docs interface look at the top left and click and hold down the "new" button. Slide your mouse down to choose either "Document", "Presentation", or "Spreadsheet".Once your document has been created, do a little exploring and see what you can do with it.
- How Do I Get Started with Google Docs?Google provides introductory videos and a decent overview at http://edutraining.googleapps.com/Training-Home/module-4-docs/chapter-1
- How Do I Share a Doc?To share your document, open the document you have been working on and look in the upper right of the document and click and hold down the "Share" button. Choose "Share with others".At the next screen, type in the email address of a person you'd like to share the "Doc" with. Select the radio button "collaborators". To invite more than one collaborator or viewer to your doc, simply put a common after each address (with no space) and add another email address if you want. Then click "Invite collaborators".You'll then get a screen where you can type a message (or not). Now click the "Send" button. They'll get an email from you. But you don't have to actually send them the email. Once you click "Invite collaborators" you'll see their email addresses on the right side of your screen.