- Can anyone randomly schedule a meeting with me?We recommend that you do not accept meetings by default. Go to Calendar/Settings and verify that your preference is set to “ No, only show invitations to which I have responded”.
- Can GCal email a daily agenda to my Gmail inbox?
Yes, GCal can send you an email every morning at 5:00am with your daily agenda! To take advantage of this feature, follow these steps: -Hit S or go to the top gear icon and select Calendar Settings
-Click the Notifications link in the center of the page
-The Daily Agenda link is at the bottom of the list. Click the Email box at the right of the page.
-Click Save and you’re done.
- Can Google Calendar display multiple time zones?
Yes, Google Calendar can display multiple time zones. To activate this function, hit "S" for the Settings menu. Now, under the "General" tab you can see "Your current time zone." Click on Show an additional time zone, and then tick the box Display all time zones.
Add in a new time zone by scrolling down, selecting the one you want and hitting save.
Now you will see both timezones in your "day" and "week" Calendar views.
- Can I ignore my Google Calendar?Yes. There is no mandate for use. But we suggest developing an understanding and expectation of how others with whom you interact and meet want to organize time collectively. Google Calendar can make that process easier and more efficient.
- Can I log in from the Gmail page?
Yes. To log in from Google, you should enter your full Bates email as the username and then press sign in. DO NOT enter your Bates password.
This will bring you to the Bates Federated Authentication Service page, where you can enter your Bates username (not full email address) and Bates network password.
- Can I use keyboard shortcuts in Google Calendar?
Yes, you can use keyboard shortcuts in Google Calendar. A full list of shortcuts can be found here.
For example, "S" goes to the "Settings" menu, "D," "W" and "M" produce day, week and month displays, "/" pulls up the search box, and "Q" brings up the "Quick add" field.
- How do I create a Banner in GCal similar to MeetingMaker Banners?GCal has an All Day Event feature that is similar to a Banner. All Day events are often birthdays, anniversaries, and any other event that does not require a specific time scheduled on a given day. You can create an All Day event by checking the "All Day" box on the "Create Event" page. Alternatively, you can click in an open space in the All Day event section for a specific day, fill in the "What" field in the event bubble, then click Create Event. When you're viewing your calendar, All Day events are listed at the top of each day. You can choose to expand or collapse the section by clicking the triangle on the left side of the event grid. When the All Day event section is collapsed, you can view the All Day events for a specific day by clicking the shaded bar with the down-arrow (just beneath the date) for the day in question. A pop-out will appear, showing you all of the All Day events scheduled for that day. If an All Day event span several days, you'll see the start and end date listed as well. Additional information on All Day Events can be found here.
- How do I get the current day to appear as the first day in my calendar?
To have the current day displayed at the left side of the screen, press 4 or x. This will change the view of your calendar to "custom" and put the current date on the left side. If you want to change the Custom View, go into Settings and select how many days you want the Custom view to display.
- How do I learn more about using Bates GCal?
You can find more information about using Bates GCal here.
- How do I make my calendar available to others?
To share your calendar with specific users, follow the steps below.
In the calendar list on the left side of the page, highlight your name and then click the down-arrow button next to the calendar, then select share this calendar. (Alternatively, click the Settings link at the bottom of the calendar list, then select a calendar and click the Share this calendar link.)
Enter the email address of the person you want to share your calendar with.
From the drop-down menu, select a level of permission, then click Add. (Once you click Add, the person you selected to share the calendar with will receive an email invitation to view your calendar.)
You can currently share your calendar with up to 75 users per day. If you'd like to share your calendars with more users, please wait 24 hours before trying again. If you're having trouble sharing your calendar, remove the shared person from your calendar settings and share your calendar again to resolve the problem.
- How do I mark an individual event as private or public?
The privacy settings for an event are set in the event page. Information on privacy settings can be found here.
- How do I search in Google Calendar?
You can hit the "/" key or enter your search criteria in the search box at the top left of the page for a quick search.
However, if you want to see a list of events by venue, participants or event type, there is a more advanced way to search. Simply select show search options next to the search toolbar and you can narrow down your search by the "what," "who" and "where" fields. This also lets you search a specific timeframe in a particular Calendar, so it's a handy option to note.
- How do I share my calendar with my department?
To share a calendar with your department, you need to share the calendar with each person manually. To share, find your personal calendar (the calendar with your name) in the drop down menu of the left hand side under “My Calendars”. Click on the arrow after your name. Click on share this calendar. Here, you can enter the email address of the people that you would like to share your calendar with and their respective permission levels. The default permission is set to see only free/busy (hide details). You can change this so the people that you share this calendar with can see all event details.
- I’m in the habit of keeping my schedule in a personal Google Calendar. What should I do?We encourage you to move to the Bates calendar. But if you insist, we advise sharing your personal calendar with your Bates calendar. For instructions on how to do so, click here.
- What is happening with MeetingMaker?For more information on our migration from MeetingMaker to Google Calendar, please visit www.bates.edu/campusconnect/meeting-maker-to-google-calendar
- Who can see the details of my calendar?Unless you have shared your calendar with others, Bates users see only whether you are free or busy. No details are shown.
- Who do I contact if I have questions about Bates GCal?
If you have questions about using Bates GCal you should contact Help Desk Services. You can call them at 207-786-8222 or send them email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Why can’t I shared my Bates Calendar with a non-Bates user?Bates values the privacy of our users and takes seriously our responsibility to safeguard user and institutional data. As a result, we limit the sharing of calendars created within the Bates Google domain to Bates account holders only. This is in keeping with individual and collective responsibilities set forth in the Bates Computer Use Policy.
- Can I opt out of courses on my calendar?No.
- How often is the course calendar updated?
Changes are updated every 30 minutes.
- If a class is cancelled or changes locations, will my calendar be updated?Only if Registrar knows about the change. Please make sure any permanent changes to a class location or schedule is reported to the Registrar. If you delete a class on a particular day or time because it is cancelled, your calendar will not maintain those changes. The course will reappear following the daily system refresh.
- I’ve already entered my schedule into my Bates Google Calendar. What should I do?An existing schedule will not prevent the automatic integration of your course schedule. You’ll just see double entries. But go ahead and delete your manual entries.
- What happens if delete a course from my calendar? Does this mean I’ve dropped the course?Deleting a course from your calendar does not mean you have dropped the class. You must drop the class via the Garnet Gateway. Changes in your course schedule will appear following the next update. Updates happen every 30 minutes. If you delete a single course from your calendar, such as if that course is canceled for that period, it will reappear on your calendar the following morning after the system refresh.
- What if I am in a course without meeting times?Courses without meeting times will not be indicated in Google Calendar.
- What if I make a change to my calendar?Any accidentally deleted classes will be restored overnight.
- What if my schedule is incorrect?Please wait at least 30 minutes before reporting any schedule problems. If, after 30 minutes your Garnet Gateway schedule doesn't agree with your Google calendar, please report it immediately to Help Desk Services.
- What if the course is not meeting on a particular day?Your course schedule is a reflection of the meeting times in the Schedule of Courses, so any changes not reflected there will not show on your calendar. If you delete a class from your calendar on a particular day or time, the class will reappear with the daily system refresh.
- When will I see my course schedule for each semester?
Winter courses will start appearing on December 1 each year. Short Term courses will start appearing on April 1 each year. Fall courses will start appearing at least one month before the start of the Fall semester.
- Who can see my course information?Only Bates users with whom you’ve shared your calendar can see your schedule. And no one will know who else in enrolled in a given course.
- Will audited classes show up?No. Only classes for which you are officially registered appear on your calendar.
- Will course listings reflect teaching and lab assistants?Not currently. As a result, assigned courses will not automatically appear in the calendars of either TAs or lab assistants.
- Will I be reminded about classes?
Yes, unless you disable reminders. For instructions on how to disable reminders, click here.