Career Discovery In Practice Job Shadow Program
What is the Career Discovery in Practice Job Shadow Program (CDIP)?
The CDIP, now in its 25th year, is a partnership among the Bates Career Development Center, students, parents and alumni through which students have the opportunity to participate in a one or two day job shadow. Through CDIP experience, students may:
- Explore potential careers
- Gain insight into a “day in the life” of a specific occupation
- Identify the skills they will need to succeed in a particular job
- Investigate a career before investing in graduate school or applying for jobs
- Develop contacts that may facilitate their search for internships and permanent employment
- Clarify career preferences
Here are some of the companies students had the opportunity to shadow at during the 2012-2013 academic year: James A Michener Art Museum, Unum, Klamath Bird Observatory, Towers Watson, Prosthodontic Associates of New York, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Phillips Academy, Tudor Ventures, Western Governors’ Association, National Institutes of Health, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Bloomingdale’s, Alkermes, Inc., United States Courts, Hill Holiday, A+E Networks, American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Public Theater/New York Shakespeare Festival, Ralph Lauren, US Geological Survey, University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research, and Social Boston Sports.
See below for 2012-13 calendar. 2013-14 calendar will appear here in August 2013.
- Aug 24 Deadline for sponsors to register (Class of 2016 Parents may register through
- Sept 19 Students may apply
- Oct 10 Student application period ends at noon
- Oct 18 Sponsors whose job shadows generate student interest will be emailed a link to view
student application materials and rank their preferences
- Oct 25 Deadline for sponsors to preference student applications
- Nov 9 Sponsors notified of matches
- Nov 16 Deadline for students to contact sponsors to set date for CDIP
- Nov 19 – May 24 CDIPs take place (to be scheduled by student and sponsor)
Questions? Please contact Nancy Gibson at the Bates Career Development Center at 207-786-6232, email@example.com.