Career Discovery In Practice Job Shadow Program
What is the Career Discovery in Practice Job Shadow Program (CDIP)?
CDIP, now in its 26th year, is a partnership among the Bates Career Development Center, students, parents, alumni, and employers through which students have the opportunity to participate in a one or two day job shadow. Through CDIP experience, students may:
- Explore potential careers
- Gain insight into a “day in the life” of a specific occupation
- Identify the skills they will need to succeed in a particular job
- Investigate a career before investing in graduate school or applying for jobs
- Develop contacts that may facilitate their search for internships and permanent employment
- Clarify career preferences
Here is a small sampling of employers that have offered CDIPs in the past: James A Michener Art Museum, Unum, Klamath Bird Observatory, Towers Watson, Prosthodontic Associates of New York, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Phillips Academy, Tudor Ventures, Western Governors’ Association, National Institutes of Health, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Bloomingdale’s, Alkermes, Inc., United States Courts, Hill Holiday, A+E Networks, American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Public Theater/New York Shakespeare Festival, Ralph Lauren, US Geological Survey, University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research, and Social Boston Sports.
How it Works
Important dates for the 2013-14 calendar
- Sept. 6 Deadline for sponsors to register
- Sept. 18 Students may apply
- Oct. 9 Student application period ends
- Oct. 18 Sponsors whose job shadows generate student interest will be emailed a link to view student application materials and rank their preferences
- Oct. 24 Deadline for sponsors to preference student applications
- Nov. 8 Sponsors notified of matches
- Nov. 15 Deadline for students to contact sponsors to set date for CDIP
- Nov. 18-May 23 CDIPs take place (to be scheduled by student and sponsor)
Questions? Please contact Karina Lemay, Career Development Program Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-786-6437.