Gaining experience in real-world settings
Students find help defining their interests and abilities, researching different fields, planning alumni-based shadowing and developing job-hunting skills through the Bates Career Development Center. The office has programs, timelines, and advice for all students and alumni, not just graduating seniors.
Bates’ career counselors offer a valuable perspective on careers and graduate education relative to the choice of major, and they can provide insights on growth industries, and the invaluable role of internships.
BCDC hosts on-campus interview sessions with representatives of graduate and professional schools and businesses, as well as an annual graduate and professional school fair. It can arrange off-campus interviews with employers in Boston and New York.
Career internships can help students clarify career goals and gain experience in professional fields. Sophomores and juniors may apply to the endowed Ladd Internship Program, which places selected students into eight- to 10-week summer positions with companies and organizations in a broad spectrum of industries.
Participating in an internship can help you to determine whether or not you want to pursue a career in a specific field, as well as giving you valuable experience to add to your resume. Bates College offers several research, community-based learning support, grant and fellowship opportunities, as well as linking to sources for thousands of other possibilities.
We welcome the opportunity to collaborate and create a strategic plan with you to accomplish your goals.
Register on our online recruiting system for students, alumni and employers.
- Handshake – our new online recruiting database that includes job/internship postings and resources
- The BCDC Bulletin – a handy newsletter that captures the latest opportunities and news
- Career Development how-to guides – a wide array of downloadable and printable handouts
- LinkedIn – where students, alumni, parents & friends connect
- Bates-only resources – exclusive CDIP job shadows, Purposeful Work internships, and subscription websites accessible through Handshake