What Can I Do With a Major in Biology?
Our mission is to provide an outstanding, comprehensive undergraduate program in the life sciences within the context of a liberal arts education. In our students we foster a fundamental understanding of the principles that govern living systems and the methods used to study these systems. We prepare students for future careers in the life sciences, to understand biological issues, and to use scientific thinking in their future lives. Our program promotes the development of problem-solving, writing, quantitative, and critical-thinking skills; it also nurtures independent research, collaborative effort, and self-expression. We value independent intellectual growth, and a required two-course senior capstone experience can be fulfilled using a variety of options: thesis, seminar and research, senior seminar, approved off-campus research, and service learning experiences.
– Bates Biology Department
Biology majors often pursue careers in health professions, graduate studies in biology, secondary teaching jobs, and other areas of the life sciences, however you are not limited to these options. A bachelor’s degree is sufficient for clinical and bench research assistant positions, advanced technician jobs in the medical field, and many environmental science positions. There are also consulting positions and sales positions for biological laboratory instruments.
- Food and Drug Inspector
- Medical Technician
- Physician Assistant
- Hospital Administrator
- Wildlife Biologist
- Medical Social Worker
- Tulane University School of Medicine, MD, MPH
- Boston University School of Public Health, MPH
- University of Vermont, PhD, Biology
- Weill Cornell Medical College, PhD, Pharmaceuticals
- Bryn Mawr, Post Bac MD program
- Columbia University, MPH, Health Policy and Management
- University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, PhD
- Tufts University, PhD, Molecular Microbiology
- Yale University, MBA, Effective and Sustainable Management for Non-Profits
- Tuskegee, DVM
- Boston University, MPH Epidemiology and Biostatistics