News and Upcoming Events
- Will you be applying to law school this fall? If so, please plan to attend a meeting for all applicants on Thursday, September 30 from noon to 1:00 pm, Room 109 in Ladd Library. If you have class during this time, or cannot attend this meeting, please email Nancy Gibson at email@example.com to let her know that you plan to apply and receive the information.
- Is law school for you? Should you go right to law school or work for a while beforehand? What do law schools look for when evaluating applicants? Join students from Bowdoin and Colby for our second annual Law School Visit. This special afternoon program will introduce you to the law school experience. You’ll attend a mock law class, tour the legal aid clinic where law student represent clients in legal cases and hear from law school admissions officers from Boston University, Univ. of California Irvine and University of Maine, and meet Bates alumni who are current law students. Friendly, informed people will answer your questions and help you decide whether this path could be a fit for you. Brief networking reception follows.Friday, October 3, 2:00-5:00 pm. University of Maine Law School, 246 Deering Avenue, Portland. Transportation is available, leaving Bates at 1:00 pm sharp and returning by 6:00 pm. Space is limited so you must register on JobCat. After you register, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let her know if you need transportation NO LATER THAN MONDAY SEPT. 29. Open to all class years.
- Each fall, over 80 graduate and professional schools, including a number of law schools, come to campus for the Colby, Bates & Bowdoin Graduate & Professional School Fair. This year’s fair will be held in Gray Cage on Tuesday, October 7 from 11:00 – 1:30 pm. Students, faculty, staff and the public are invited to meet with admissions representatives and learn about the variety of programs offered. Be sure to check back here for special programming and events before and after the fair.
- Interested in a career in International Affairs? On Monday, November 3, from 7:00 – 8:30 pm join representatives from The Fletcher School of International Law & Diplomacy (a joint program of Tufts University and Harvard University) and The Woodrow Wilson School of Princeton University to learn more about their programs and admissions process. Room TBA.
- The Law School Admission Council will be sponsoring law school fairs in a number of cities around the country. For a complete list, check www.lsac.org. The fair will take place in Boston at the Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel on Tuesday, November 11. Workshops will be held from noon – 7 pm and representatives will be at the fair from 2:00 pm – 7:00 pm.
- Is Law School in your Future? A conversation with Law School Dean Nora Demleitner ’89, Washington & Lee University, School of Law, November 12, 2014, Noon – 1:00 pm, Room TBA. Is law school for you? Should you go right to law school or work for a while beforehand? What do law schools look for when evaluating applicants? What is the current employement outlook for lawyers? What’s new in admission trends? Is a legal education worth the price? These topics and more will be covered in this introductory session.
Want to be sure to receive ALL the latest pre-law news for Bates students? Subscribe to the Pre-Law Listserv by clicking here.