We are here to guide you as you find your own path
Regardless of where you find yourself on the career spectrum, the Bates Career Development Center (BCDC) provides a wide variety of valuable services and resources. Our staff aims to meet you wherever you are in your career development to help you develop a customized plan of action. We would like for you to leave Bates with a robust career development tool kit that will serve you well at every turn ahead.
We hope that you will find these resources helpful as you begin a new chapter in your life – career exploration. We look forward to partnering with you as you move forward in your career path. We wish you best of luck and great success!
Top tips for students
- Pace yourself during your four years at Bates – start early and visit the BCDC regularly!
- Connect with someone experienced that you trust and who can serve as a sounding board
- Save and send all of your important files in PDF versions to prevent format changes
- Start a career development notebook to stay organized and to track your progress
- Always err on the side of caution and use a formal approach in your professional correspondence
- Always send a thank-you note (or e-mail) to networking contacts and interviewers within 24 hours
- Take the initiative and reach out to others (politely)– if you don’t ask, you don’t get
- Respectfully accept and seek advice from others – and incorporate what seems right for you
Learn more about how the BCDC can assist you
- Getting Started: Career Development and Exploration Resources
- Experiential Learning: Internships and Job Shadowing
- Advanced Studies: Graduate and Professional School Advising