Welcome, wherever you are (or are not) on your spiritual journey!
“There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.” ~ Rumi
We desire all persons within the Bates community to experience the Multifaith Chaplaincy as a good place to find and create life-giving relation.
We hope and strive to be a safe harbor, a source of refreshment and renewal, a resource for growth and wisdom, a maker of connections, a giver of unqualified compassion, a gathering of justice-makers.
We are a resource for members of the Bates community who are: participants in an established religious tradition; “spiritual but not religious;” agnostic, atheist, or secular humanists; curious, radically questioning, or just unsure about sacred matters; interested in social justice opportunities and contemplative practices.
The Bates Multifaith Chaplaincy strives to nurture the processes that build the relationships and capacities necessary for a strong community with vibrant connections to the reflective life, to relational life, to religious/spiritual traditions, and to questions of meaning and purpose.
We seek to do this by:
- Facilitating spaces for conversation, contemplation, and action
- Engaging with and celebrating difference
- Nurturing the ability to engage ambiguity and paradox and to relate to others with empathy and vulnerability
- Constructing, exploring, and renegotiating narratives about meaning and purpose
- Creating experiences where breadth and depth of symbol, ritual, and story can engage the whole person and community