Welcome, wherever you are (or are not) on your spiritual journey!
“There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.” ~ Rumi
We desire all persons within the Bates community to experience the Multifaith Chaplaincy as a good place to find and create life-giving relation.
We hope and strive to be a safe harbor, a source of refreshment and renewal, a resource for growth and wisdom, a maker of connections, a giver of unqualified compassion, a gathering of justice-makers.
We are a resource for members of the Bates community who are: participants in an established religious tradition; “spiritual but not religious;” agnostic, atheist, or secular humanists; curious, radically questioning, or just unsure about sacred matters; interested in social justice opportunities and contemplative practices.
The Bates Multifaith Chaplaincy strives to nurture the processes that build the relationships and capacities necessary for a strong community with vibrant connections to the reflective life, to relational life, to religious/spiritual traditions, and to questions of meaning and purpose.
We seek to do this by:
- Facilitating spaces for conversation, contemplation, and action
- Engaging with and celebrating difference
- Nurturing the ability to engage ambiguity and paradox and to relate to others with empathy and vulnerability
- Constructing, exploring, and renegotiating narratives about meaning and purpose
- Creating experiences where breadth and depth of symbol, ritual, and story can engage the whole person and community
Please explore our links above to learn more about us and find ways to connect!