|302 or 310||Winter|
|S37 or S42||Short Term|
|457 or 458|
Two courses, or one course with a lab, from the list below following the sorting mechanism described.
If a student takes S42, he or she must take at least one elective from the following list:
- 223 (analytical spectroscopy)
- S37 (advanced measurement lab)
- 321 (biochemistry)
- 310 or 302 (biophysical chemistry or statistical thermodynamics whichever one was not taken to fulfill the major)
- 316 (advanced inorganic chemistry)
- 313 spectral interpretation.
If a student takes S37, he or she must take at least one elective from the following list
- S42 synthesis and chemical reactivity short term
- 223 analytical spectroscopy
- 325 advanced organic chemistry
- 321 biochemistry
- 313 spectral interpretation
- 316 advanced inorganic chemistry
Students may not take any course pass/fail that is counted towards the major.
- 301 quantum requires math 105, 106 and 205, physics 107 prereq or coreq physics 108
- 302 statistical thermodynamics requires math 105 and 106 prereq or coreq physics 107
- 310 biophysical chemistry requires math 105 and 106 and physics 107
- S37 requires CHEM 301 or CHEM 302 or CHEM 310
- S42 requires CHEM 218 and CHEM 215