The Case for a Cost Symposium
It’s complicated. Why is higher education so expensive, and just what is the product that these high tuitions buy? How does financial aid fit in, and how accessible is it? These questions and others are of perennial concern for students, families and educators, and the answers are not simple.
The need to provide better information about college costs — clearly evidenced by last summer’s “apples and oranges” media coverage — inspired Bates, Brown and Northeastern to bring the nation’s top experts on these issues together in a Leadership Symposium on Cost, Price and Financial Aid.
Symposium News & Updates
- Alumni make May 15 a “great day”
- Matthew Auer, Indiana University honors dean, named Bates College vice president for academic affairs and dean of the faculty
- Video: Classmates Pringle, Gottwald return to develop ‘Tour, Teach, Perform’ piece
- Trustee Chair Emeritus E. Robert Kinney ’39, corporate and civic leader with ‘good, gutsy Maine business sense,’ dies at 96
- Campus extends helping hands to downtown fire relief efforts
- Bates responds to Lewiston fires
- Heads-up for our neighbors: Fireworks planned for Sunday, May 12
- Lecture to explore social mobility, housing, immigrant networks
- Slideshow: Student athletes get into GAME Day
- French-Gypsy swing band, star jazz guitarist bound for Bates