COLLEGE EMERGENCY PROCEDURES & POLICIES (INCLUDING WEATHER EMERGENCIES)
A Senior Emergency Response Group (SERG) is established to determine the existence and nature of an emergency (including weather emergencies) affecting the College, and to initiate appropriate action and communication regarding such emergencies. The Group will continue to serve during the emergency, to coordinate the College’s efforts, and to advise the President on decisions regarding the emergency.
SERG Operating Procedures
1. Following consultation with the Director of Security, the President or, if the President is unavailable, the Vice President for Academic Affairs, Dean of Students and the Vice President for Finance and Administration and Treasurer (in that order) will determine whether to convene SERG. In their absence, the Director of Security will activate the SERG committee. The Director or his designee will inform the Office of College Relations of the incident. In the event of imminent danger to individuals or groups of individuals, public safety procedures will take precedence over immediately activating SERG.
2. Bates Security and Campus Safety will contact the SERG and other necessary personnel.
3. If SERG is convened, they will meet in the Bates Security and Campus Safety Office during the emergency or crisis
4. Immediate objectives of SERG, once convened:
• Identify the nature and scope of the emergency.
• Establish priorities and coordinate crisis response efforts.
• Activate the emergency telephone system in the event of a power failure. If this system fails, activate the campus phone tree or courier system.
• Interact with outside agencies including, but not limited to, the American Red Cross, law enforcement, fire department, and the Emergency Management Agency.
• Determine the times and means to report efforts and progress to the campus community.
Depending on the nature of the emergency, additional members of SERG may be added, including, but not limited to, the head of Bates Emergency Medical Service (EMS), and the Director of Health Services.
Weather Emergencies At the announcement of a weather emergency, the President, Vice President for Finance and Administration and Treasurer, and the Director of Security will determine whether or not College services are to be open or closed. The announcement will be made on the college’s web page and on the college emergency notification service, Connect Ed. If College offices are closed, only those personnel already defined in advance by the director of the department as “essential” should report for work; no other personnel should report. “Essential” personnel will be needed only to preserve safety, health, and maintenance functions. If College offices are declared open, all personnel should assume that they report to work.
Special events and programs (including non-resident Summer programs)These programs will be canceled if the College closes its services; while an effort to provide appropriate notice will be made canceling a specific event, the assumption shall be that if College offices are closed, then the special event will be canceled.