Hate Crime Policies & Procedures
If you think there has been a hate/bias crime committed, report it to Bates Security immediately at x6354.
- Bates Security will initiate an appropriate investigation by interviewing all witnesses and securing/preserving the evidence.
- The Special Assistant to the President for Diversity and Inclusion and the Dean of Students office will be notified immediately. See the Bates Community Response Team for protocol.
- The Lewiston Police Department (LPD) will be notified as well.
- The LPD will come on scene and make an initial determination as to whether a hate bias incident/crime has taken place.
- No hateful writing and or symbols will be removed until authorized by appropriate authority.
- Bates Security’s initial report will be provided by fax to the Maine Attorney General’s office.
Reporting a Hate Crime or Bias Incident
- Call the Department of Securty and Campus Safety at 786-6254. A security officer will document the incident and when appropriate call in the Lewiston Police Department to collect evidence.
- Report it anonymously here.
- Report it to any of the the Deans of Students.
- Report it to the Special Assistant to the President for Diversity and Inclusion.
- Tell your JA or RC.