2018-19 Consolidated Faculty & Chairs Deadlines & Meetings
The following meetings will be held as listed and the items are due by the dates noted. Please see the specific guidelines for submission.
- First Year Seminars begin at 9:00 AM
- Department/Program Chairs Retreat – 8:00 AM – 2:00 PM in Pettengill G65
- Faculty to notify their dept/program chair of their 3-year plan of leaves and intent to apply for: Enhanced sabbatical, Leave of Absence, Phillips Fellowship, Pre-Tenure leave, Sabbatical, and Course reduction.
- Chairs to aggregate the individual 3-year plan of leaves.
- Dean of the Faculty’s office sends Chairs its record of faculty eligible for leaves for the next three years.
September 4: Convocation at 11:00 AM in the Historic Quad
- Fall 2018 add/drop opens
- Personnel letters due for promotion and/or lecturers
- Fall ’18 semester begins
- Chairs submit electronically their aggregate 3-year plan of leaves and course reductions spreadsheet to DOF.
- Faculty submit on-line Phillips Faculty Fellowship applications.
September 17: Faculty meeting in Chase Hall, Memorial Commons, 4:15 pm, with reception immediately following at President Spencer’s house
- Last day to add a Fall 2018 course
- Last day to elect pass/fail for a Fall 2018 course
- Last day to enter Learning Objectives for Fall 2018 courses
September 26: Department/Program Chairs meeting, 4:15 PM in Commons 221/222
September 30: New Faculty submit their course proposals for Winter 2019 on Garnet Gateway.
October 1: Faculty meeting, 4:15 PM in Chase Hall, Memorial Commons.
- Faculty submit their Extra-Cost Short Term course for approval using the online course proposal system in Garnet Gateway (under the Course Maintenance menu).
- DOF sends Chairs an updated, final list of anticipated 3-year plan of leaves
- Dean of the Faculty’s office sends Chairs information about the Lectureships eligible for renewal.
October 5 – 7: Back to Bates: Homecoming and Family Weekend
- Faculty submit Short Term 2019 new course proposals, due REGISTRAR
- Chairs submit electronically their Intent to submit a full proposal for authorization of a faculty position via the Intent to Apply form
October 17: Winter 2019 schedule corrections due
October 17 – 21: Fall Recess
October 25-26: Board of Trustees fall meeting
- Last day for withdrawal from fall semester courses (drops) for all students.
- Last day to elect letter grade for Fall 2018 course
October 27 – November 2: Winter registration
October 31: Department/Program Chairs meeting, 4:15 PM in Commons 221/222
- Personal letters due for tenure
- Faculty submit an electronic application for Enhanced sabbatical, Sabbatical, Leave of Absence, Pre-tenure leave or Course reduction.
- Chairs submit an electronic request for Replacements and Additional courses for faculty receiving Phillips Fellowships or applying for an Enhanced sabbatical, Sabbatical, Pre-tenure leave, Leave of absence, or Course reduction.
November 5: Faculty meeting, 4:15 PM in Chase Hall, Memorial Commons.
November 11: Petitions for Winter 2019 course due to faculty
- Faculty submit proposal for new Fall 2019 FYSs to REGISTRAR.
- Chairs send titles and instructors of First-Year Seminars to Margaret Imber (email@example.com). Questions on satisfying the W1 requirement for FYS courses can be directed to Daniel Sanford (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Draft Short Term 2019 schedule available for faculty to review.
- Faculty submit petitions for Winter 2019 courses to Registrar.
November 17 – 25: Thanksgiving recess
- Winter 2019 add/drop period opens for all students
November 28: Department/Program Chairs meeting, 4:15 PM in Commons 221/222
- Chairs submit corrections to the draft Short Term 2019 schedule to REGISTRAR.
- Faculty meeting, 4:15 PM in Chase Hall, Memorial Commons.
- AY 2019-20 grids and course planning available in Garnet Gateway.
December 3 – 21: Course evaluation
December 7: Classes end, fall semester, 4:00 PM
- Final examinations begin, 8:00 AM
- Chairs submit operating budget requests and capital requests to DOF (email@example.com) and Budget office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
December 12: Department/Program Chairs meeting, 4:15 PM in Commons, 221/222
- Final examinations end, 12:30 PM
December 16 – January 6: Holiday recess
- Faculty submit Fall 2018 final grades to REGISTRAR
- Fall 2018 final grades available for student viewing in Garnet Gateway.
- Classes begin, winter semester, 8:00 AM
- Faculty line proposals submitted to Dean of Faculty’s Office (email@example.com).
- Faculty meeting, 4:15 PM in Chase Hall, Memorial Commons.
- Returning Faculty submit proposals for new courses for Fall 2019, Winter 2020, and Short Term 2020 on Garnet Gateway – due REGISTRAR.
- Last day to elect pass/fail for a Winter 2019 course.
- Deadline to enter Learning Objectives for Winter 2019 courses
- Short Term 2019 Learning Objectives available
January 21: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – workshops take the place of classes
- (Students) Short Term 2019 extra-cost, off-campus registration opens.
January 30: Department/Program Chairs meeting, 4:15 PM in Commons 221/2222
- Chairs submit Fall 2019, Winter 2020, and Short Term 2020 grids, including FYS instructors and titles to the Registrar on Garnet Gateway.
- Chairs notify DOF (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than January 31st of their plans for replacing positions and courses (i.e. broad search, rehire, etc.)
- Chairs submit Lectureship Position Authorization Request form to DOF email@example.com
- (Students) deadline to confirm off-campus study (including all study abroad) for AY2019-20.
- Short Term 2019 extra-cost, off-campus registration closes.
February 4: Faculty meeting, 4:15 PM in Chase Hall, Memorial Commons
- Draft Fall 2019 schedules available for faculty to review.
- Personnel letters due for reappointment
- Fall 2018 schedule corrections due Registrar
February 16 – 24: Winter recess
February 27: Department/Program Chairs meeting, 4:15 PM in Commons 221/222
- Last day for withdrawal from winter semester courses (drops) for all students
- Last day to elect letter grade for a Winter 2019 course
March 2 – 8: Short Term and Fall 2019 registration
March 4: Faculty meeting, 4:15 PM in Chase Hall, Memorial Commons
March 15: Significant curriculum changes due to AAC for review.
March 17: Petitions for Fall 2019 courses due to faculty.
March 22: Petitions for Fall 2019 courses due from faculty to Registrar.
March 25: (Students) Short Term 2019 and Fall 2019 registration adjustment (add/drop) opens
March 27: Department/Program Chairs meeting, 4:15 PM in Commons 221/22
March 29: Mt. David Summit
April 1: Faculty submit applications for additional faculty travel funds to Jason Scheideman.
April 1: Faculty meeting, 4:15 PM in Chase Hall, Memorial Commons
April 5: Classes end, Winter semester, 4:00 PM
April 9: Final examinations begin, 8:00 AM
April 13: Final examinations end, 12:30 PM
April 14 – 21: Spring recess
April 22: Classes begin, Short Term 2019, 8:00 AM
April 23: Winter 2019 final grades due from faculty.
- Department/Program Chairs meeting, 4:15 PM in Commons 221/222
- Winter 2019 final grades available for student viewing.
- Last day to add a Short Term 2019 course.
April 26: (Students) Last day for withdrawal from Short Term 2019 courses (drops)
- Faculty submit your field(s) of expertise keywords into grid & forward to Lori Ouellette
- Faculty meeting 12:00 Noon in Memorial Commons – Chase Hall;
- Faculty retirement reception 4:15 Benjamin Mays Center
May 17: Department/Program Chairs meeting, 4:15 PM in Commons 221/222
May 20 – May 31: Course evaluation
- Last possible due date for Winter 2019 deferred grades for seniors – REGISTRAR
- Classes end, Short Term 2019, 4:00 PM
- Deadline to notify Registrar’s office of any senior failing a Short Term 2019 course,12:00 PM
May 26: Commencement 2019
June 4: Faculty to submit final grades for Short Term 2019 to REGISTRAR
June 5: Short Term 2019 final grades available for student viewing in Garnet Gateway.
June 15: Faculty submit Professional Activities Report (PAR) to Alison Keegan
June 30: Fiscal Year End – Faculty and Chairs submit all invoices to Accounting Office.
August 15: Chairs send electronically their departmental/program Annual Reports to Meg Gresh