Every first year student at Bates is required to complete AlcoholEdu for College before arriving on campus. We take seriously our duty to ensure that all incoming students have an effective knowledge base about alcohol. We won’t release your residence, roommate(s), email, or campus mailbox information unless you complete part 1 by July 26.
Watch the Deadlines
Part 1 of the program opens June 20 and must be completed by July 26. All responses are strictly confidential; we won’t be able to see individual responses, but we receive an aggregate of answers from the class as a whole. We’ll track participation rates class wide, and monitor levels of completion for each student.
You don’t need to complete the course in one session; you can save your data and resume the course at a later time. Part 1 ends after the Exam and Survey 2 — only grades above 85% receive credit.
After being on campus for about a month (by September 26), you’ll receive an email allowing you to start Part 2. Part 2 takes about 15 minutes and must be completed by Wednesday, October 16. You might receive an email earlier than September 26, but don’t start Part 2 before Thursday, September 26.
A Significant Issue
Alcohol is a significant issue in the lives of both high school and college students. Bates is not immune from these concerns. Whether or not you abstain from alcohol, it is an influence in our lives and in the lives of our family and friends. Bates has been looking for positive interventions that increase student knowledge regarding alcohol. To this end, we have contracted with a national web based education program called AlcoholEdu. This program is a tool to help students make educated and informed decisions about alcohol. This tool is also useful for students who choose not to drink to help educate their friends when they see problems. We give our students considerable autonomy in their decision making — we hope this program helps in developing a responsible and informed independence.
Requires Flash 7 and sound (or closed captioning)
- Select AlcoholEdu in the Entering Students section of the Garnet Gateway.
- Click “Create Account”
- You can log in and out of the course at the end of each section. Section ends are marked with a “Next” button. DO NOT log out until you click the “Next” button or you will have to repeat the section. When you return, you should log back in to the Garnet Gateway. The course may be paused and returned to at any time and any computer.
- To log back in to your account, always access AlcoholEdu from the Garnet Gateway.
- Take the exam in one sitting; if you log out during the exam, the course will assume you have completed it and assign a grade inclusive of unanswered questions.
- Use the “Previous” and “Next” buttons on the exam screen, not on your browser.
- Click the “Next” button at the end of each section to save your progress.
- Pop-up blockers and toolbars can cause problems with the media files and cause them to loop over and over.
- Close other applications or browser windows.
- Don’t have two browser windows open with course information — this can cause errors with your Exam score.
- Reboot your computer.
- Choose “Audio Only” on the AlcoholEdu Media Settings Page. (Media Settings link is in the upper right-hand corner of the AlcoholEdu screen).
- Try another browser. We support Internet Explorer and Firefox.
- Try another computer.
- Try a different internet connection (i.e. school lab or library, your home or home of friend/relative, non-Wi-Fi).
- Try a different time of day (during non-peak hours, i.e. morning).
The AlcoholEdu Online Technical Support Center is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week via the “Technical Help” button located in the upper right-hand corner of every AlcoholEdu for College screen. You don’t need to be logged into the course to access the Technical Support Center.
Erin Foster Zsiga
Assistant Dean of Students/Alcohol, Tobacco & Other Drug Counselor