Math, Language & Chemistry Placement
Math: Assess where you stand online
The Mathematics Department provides a page of commonly asked Calculus Questions along with two online, anonymous placement exams to help you decide whether to start with Calculus I, Calculus II, or beyond. To get started, go to our Calculus Questions or Calculus Placement Exams website. For additional questions, contact our departmental Assistant in Instruction, Eric Towne (email@example.com).
The following links serve as a guide for first-year students who wish to take foreign language courses at Bates College. The French and Spanish forms are designed to assist you in placing yourself at the appropriate level. Completing a placement form does not guarantee a place in a French or Spanish class.
- Chinese - E-mail Professor Shuhui Yang (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- French – This form is designed to assist you in placing yourself at the appropriate level.
- German - This form is designed to assist you in placing yourself at the appropriate level.
- Japanese - The following is a guide for first-year students who wish to take Japanese at Bates.
- Russian - E-mail Professor Dennis Browne (email@example.com)
- Spanish – The following is a guide for first-year students who wish to take Spanish instruction at Bates.
Students who have questions about her to use AP credit in lieu of Chemistry 107 and/or Chemistry 108 should email Professor Jennifer Koviach-Côté (firstname.lastname@example.org).