Statement on Confidentiality & Public Reporting
All participants to a disciplinary hearing are reminded of their obligation to maintain confidentiality. The names of individuals involved in a case as well as all pre-hearing proceedings, testimony, evidence, deliberations and discussion shall remain confidential. Similarly, the hearing record and all proceedings on appeal are con-fidential.
In order to inform the College community about matters of student discipline, however, the following information, excluding all references personally identifying the individuals involved in a case, will be made available for inspection to the College community:
1. The formal charge and decision of the Student Conduct Committee;
2. A file of cases heard by the Student Conduct Committee maintained by the Dean, in cooperation with the Co-Chairs of the SCC, which shall include formal charges, decisions of the Committee, and any penalties imposed. In appealed cases, actions taken by the ad hoc Appeals Panel shall also be included; and
3. A report by the Co-Chairs of the Student Conduct Committee to the Faculty (which shall be made at the last regular Faculty meeting of each semester) on all action taken by the SCC since the preceding report.
Information contained in items 1, 2, 3, excluding all references personally identifying the individuals involved in a case, may be published in The Bates Student.
The Dean shall be exempt from the rule of confidentiality in re-sponding to inquiries meeting any of the exceptions contained in 34 C.F.R. §99.31, issued pursuant to authority of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. §1232(g)), as may from time to time be applicable.”
Policies & Procedures
- Policies & Procedures
- Student Conduct
- Part I: Code of Student Conduct
- Part II: Disciplinary Process
- Investigating Alleged Misconduct
- Minor Misconduct
- Student Conduct Committee
- Disciplinary Actions
- Appeals & Timing
- Part III: Resources, Rights & Responsibilities
- Three Strike Policy
- Sexual Misconduct Policy & Procedures
- Learning Differences
- Residence & Dining Regulations
- Student Conduct