Kathryn G. Low
Professor of Psychology and Associate Dean of the Faculty
Dean of the Faculty's Office
Lane Hall, Room 120
Dr. Graff Low is currently an Associate Dean of the Faculty, and is not teaching. Her current projects include a collaboration with the local medical residency on hospital-based research and ongoing work on women’s health and sexuality.
Summary of Interests
- Women’s health
- Sexual health, including sexual function and sexually transmitted infections
- College student health and mental health
- Cardiovascular disease, including psychological risk factors and metabolic syndrome
- Public Health
- B.A., Bowdoin College (1978)
- Ed.M., Harvard University (1981)
- Ph.D., Stanford University (1991)
- FYS 305 Corporal Culture: Body and Health in America
- Psychology 235 Abnormal Psychology
- Psychology 261 Research Methods
- Psychology 322 Child Psychopathology
- Psychology 333 Topics in Advanced Abnormal Psychology
- Psychology 303 Health Psychology
- Psychology/Women and Gender Studies 343 Women, Culture and Health
- Psychology 211 Personality
- S30 Contemporary Psychotherapies
- S15 Health, Culture and Community
Coville, A., Miklowitz, D.J., Taylor, D.T., & Low, K.G. (2008). Correlates of high expressed emotion attitudes among parents of bipolar adolescents. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 64,438-449.
Cremers, G. & Low, K. (2014). Attitudes toward placentophagy: A brief report. Health Care for Women International, 35, 113-119.
Doherty, K. A., & Low, K.G. (2009). The effects of a web-based intervention on college students’ knowledge of HPV and attitudes toward vaccination. International Journal of Sexual Health, 20, 223-232.
Greene, M. & Low, K.G. (2014). Public integrity, private hypocrisy and the moral licensing effect. Social Behavior and Personality: An International Journal, 42, 391-401.
Low, K.G. (2011). Flourishing, substance use, and engagement in students entering college: A preliminary study. Journal of American College Health, 59, 555-562
Low, K.G., Charanasomboon, S., Lesser, J., Reinhalter, K., Martin, R., Jones, H., Winzelberg, A., Abascal, L., & Taylor, C.B.. (2006). Effectiveness of a computer-based eating disorders prevention program at long term follow up. Eating Disorders: The Journal of Treatment and Prevention, 14, 17-30.
Low, K.G. & Gendaszek, A. (2002). Stimulant abuse in college undergraduates. Psychology, Health and Medicine, 7, 283-287.
Low, K.G., Giasson, H., Connors, S., Weiss, R. & Freeman, D. (2012). Testing the effectiveness of motivational interviewing as a weight reduction strategy for obese cardiac patients: A pilot study. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, DOI: 10.1007/s1259-011-9219-0.
Low, K.G., Massa, L., & Lehman, D. (2005). Insulin pump use in young adolescents with type 1 diabetes: A descriptive study. Pediatric Diabetes, 6, 22-31.
Robbins, N., Low, K.G., & Query, A. (2016). A qualitative exploration of the “Coming Out’ process for asexual individuals. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 45:751-760.
Rosania, A., Low, K.G., Rosania, D. & McCormick, C. (2009). Stress, depression, cortisol and periodontal disease. Journal of Periodontology, 80, 260-266.