The Bates Fund
The Bates Fund, including gifts to Friends of Bates Athletics, is a critical measure of Bobcat pride.
The Bates Fund helps to make up the difference between the comprehensive fee and the actual cost of educating each Bates student. Bates (and nearly all of its peer schools) depends on tuition revenue, endowment spending and annual fund/current-use gifts to cover operating costs.
2017–18 Bates Fund Goals
- Dollars: $7.1 Million
- Alumni Participation: 46%
- Class-by-Class Goals
The Impact of Your Giving
“Truly transformative experiences are rare, yet providing them is Bates’ mission. I look forward to the day when I am able to fund these opportunities for others — until then, your generosity is important for continuing this legacy.” — Shannon Griffin ’16
Your gift to the Bates Fund is a gift to your Bates mentors and professors, as well as a gift to students experiencing Bates at this very moment. It is a vote of confidence in Bates and an investment in its future. Help us ensure that the fundamental aspects of a Bates education remain accessible to the most deserving students, regardless of financial resources. Bates depends on you.
The Bates Fund serves as a necessary complement to our endowment, fully dedicated to the present needs of the college. Every gift is transformational and enables the college to enhance the educational experience of students every day. By giving to the Bates Fund, you provide the next generation with:
- a best-in-class liberal arts experience spanning academic, athletic, and co-curricular programs
- funded internships and student-faculty research opportunities
- access to a global community of supportive alumni, forming a large and ever-growing Bates family
- generous financial aid (more than $35,000 per student on average) for 48 percent of Bates students
- a 10:1 student-to-faculty ratio, with top-in-their-field faculty members
- technology resources to enhance the experience of students and faculty on our campus
The Bates Fund has grown by 11.4 percent in the past three years thanks to incredible engagement and generosity from alumni, parents and friends.
To make a gift, go to bates.edu/give; call us toll free at 888-522-8371; or send your check payable to Bates College, 2 Andrews Road, Lewiston, ME 04240. The Fund year closes June 30.