Named Scholars Program
“We give to Named Scholars both because it creates opportunities for students who otherwise would not have access to a Bates education and because enrolling these students enriches the college experience for everyone at Bates.”
– Rick Smith and Carol Marine P’12
Donors may create a scholarship in their name or the name of a loved one through a $5,000 gift to the Bates Fund designated to Named Scholars.
- Your gift provides scholarship assistance to a student with demonstrated financial need.
- Within a year of your gift, your scholarship will be matched to a student. You will receive a profile of your scholarship recipient with details about his or her Bates experience.
- Donors have the opportunity to get to know their student through correspondence and meet them at an annual campus event.
- Your gift of a Named Scholarship grants you membership in the Mount David Society, the preeminent organization of Bates Fund leadership donors.
Scholarships and Need: Since our founding, Bates has been committed to providing a quality education for all who can benefit from it. Opportunity and excellence — the core of Bates’ inclusive heritage — remain our highest priority. Each Bates family pays what it can afford, based on their financial situation. What a family cannot afford, Bates provides in grants (supported in part by the Bates Fund and the Named Scholars Program), loans and campus employment.
Bates constantly buttresses this need-based policy by:
- spending a higher percentage of its budget on financial aid than our peers;
- keeping loan expectations well below the national average;
- providing aid for study abroad;
- and recalculating a family’s needs as their circumstances change.
Meet some of our Named Scholar donors and their recipients:
Quoc & Koya
|Quoc Tran ’95
“When you go to Bates, you’re part of Bates for life. By giving to Named Scholars, I want to give students the freedom and opportunity to study at Bates, but I also hope it plants a seed in them about giving back in the future.”
Rick, Carol & Misha
|Rick Smith and Carol Marine P’12
“As parents of a Bates graduate, we have long been impressed by the college’s commitment to strong academic and community values, and by its dedication to providing the best possible experience for all students.”