Parents Executive Council
The Mount David Society represents a group of Bates alumni and parents who have chosen to make leadership gifts that are commensurate with their passion for Bates and their philanthropic capacity. Contributions from MDS members make an immediate impact on students by directly supporting college priorities, including Purposeful Work, the Engaged Liberal Arts, and Bates’ commitment to excellence and opportunity for all.
Within MDS, the Parents Executive Council (PEC) represents a group of Bates parents who give at the level of $5,000 and above to provide Bates students with the resources and opportunities they need to be successful. We are happy to report that in 2015–16, our inaugural year, 89 PEC-member families collectively gave nearly $900,000 of last year’s $1.1 million in total Parents Fund giving. Among their other contributions, PEC members sponsored 35 Career Discovery in Practice internships and hosted nine Summer Welcome Receptions for incoming Bates students and their families.
On a more personal level, our work as members of the PEC has afforded us the opportunity to build our own special bonds with Bates. By working with faculty, staff, and other enthusiastic parents, we have deepened our connection to the college and formed new friendships.
As co-chairs of the PEC, we ask you to join us in making Bates a philanthropic priority. Whether you can make a commitment at the MDS level, the PEC level, or above, your leadership gifts are vital to ensuring that we build a strong future for our students and for Bates.
We thank you in advance for your support.
Bill ’82 and Scarlett Carey ’82, P’13, ’14, ’19
Jeanmarie (Hester) ’85 and Colin Cooper, P’19
Co-Chairs, Parents Executive Council
Gifts of $1,855 or more
In recognition of this generous commitment, the college expresses its gratitude by offering:
- Special opportunities to meet and network with MDS members and Bates leaders on campus and at regional gatherings.
- Insiders’ updates on the college throughout the year.
- MDS recognition in the college’s annual Report of Giving.
Gifts of $5,000 or more
In addition to the above, the college recognizes parents by offering:
- Opportunities to connect with Bates leadership regarding important campus initiatives.
- An invitation to participate in conference calls with campus leaders to receive insider news.
- Invitations to join networking receptions with other Bates parents, both regionally and on campus.
- An invitation to the President’s Reception at Back to Bates: Homecoming & Family Weekend.
Supporters who place the college at the top of their philanthropic priorities. Their generosity helps ensure that Bates is at the forefront of the nation’s liberal arts colleges today, and moving forward. In addition to the above opportunities:
- A copy of a book or selected academic reading chosen by President Spencer at the start of each academic year.
- An invitation to join an annual teleconference to hear insider updates on college priorities from President Clayton Spencer.
President’s Associates who annually give $25,000 or more, also have the opportunity to engage with members of the college’s senior leadership.