The Planning Process
Listed below are the major steps in planning for off-campus study for the semester or year. Consult the planning timeline for a complete list.
Attend an Information Session
Information Sessions for all students interested in off-campus study at any point in the 2018-2019 academic year (choose one):
- Wednesday, September 20, 2017. Olin Concert Hall; 7pm OR 9pm.
Attend the Study Abroad Fair
Meet representatives of 30+ study abroad programs and universities abroad. Drop by before or after lunch.
- Wednesday, September 27, 2017. Commons 221-2; 11am-1pm
Make an Appointment
To schedule an off-campus advising appointment, please see Shelley Palmer in the Center for Global Education, 9am-4pm, 124 Roger Williams Hall; call the office (786-6223); login to BatesReach.
At your first meeting, we’ll discuss
- your academic plans and ideas
- your non-academic plans and ideas
- Bates’ semester balance enrollment policy
- the range of off-campus study possibilities
- financing off-campus study
- and all of your questions and concerns
To best prepare for your first meeting
- Consult with a faculty member about how off-campus study fits into your four-year plan of study at Bates.
- Look over the off-campus study opportunities and explore the links to the program web sites.
- Read the student evaluations of programs on the program pages.
- RELAX! You are not expected to have a complete plan at your meeting.
- You may decide to remain at Bates — that is fine, too.
By Mid-January 2018:
- declare your major
- obtain signature of major department chair/major advisor on the Off-Campus Study Registration Form
By February 2, 2018:
- submit Off-Campus Study Registration Form
- apply for Fall 2018 or 2018-19 Year programs
Summer-Early Fall 2018
- apply for Winter 2019 programs